In search of the ultimate wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In search of the ultimate wax

I was told by my MM's previous owner that the car's paint was sealed by the dealer and not to wax it.

I held out a whole two weeks before I broke down and put on a couple coats of Mother's carnuba wax after using their pre-wax cleaner. It looked good but not great. It took 4 detailings before all the swirls were worked out. The wax held dust like mad.

I then tried Zaino's after stripping it with diluted dish soap as instructed. Looked better, no swirls, but I couldn't seem to get that "showcar shine" they advertise. Not so much with the dust problem.

Ran out of Zaino's, so I'm now using Meguires Gold with all the same issues as the Mothers.

Any suggestions?
    Supercharged '03 Mercury Marauder - SOLD

Some girl at work had a friend come up. She was from the rich subd. mind you. she said she had her car done for $500+ to where she doesn't have to wax it for 5 years. She had an Acura coupe BTW.

So fucking hot & willing, but still in highschool. Damn the highschool sluts.

Comment

Iv heard great things about Zaino. I use Eagle One Nano wax.

http://members.sounddomain.com/sambos86
      My 1979 F-250 Ranger Hi Boy
      33/12.50 BFG Mud Terrians
      390ci with a little bigger cam
      Holly 4 barrel with K&N
      4 Speed with granny gear

Comment

I used mothers as you did originally; carnuaba cleaner wax. I really had to put some elbow grease into it while applying it and watched the grime come off the paint. Even more elbow grease to buff off the wax once it dried. I really like the shine it gave me, but as you mentioned, attracts dust like a bitch. A friend of mine had a seven step polish system he used on his Formula, and it worked really well, but I don't have any info on it.

Comment

I also use Meguires Cleaner wax every so often on my merk...

I like the results I get!
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Re: In search of the ultimate wax

Originally posted by HwyCruiser
            I was told by my MM's previous owner that the car's paint was sealed by the dealer and not to wax it.

Any suggestions?
            if the previous owner had the car 'zeibart'ed you may never get the 'perfect' shine again. but realistically you shouldn't have to wax it either. i would try getting all of the wax off and just using a good polish. i have heard good things about nufinish... though i have never tried it.

let us know how it turns out.

2000 HPP Mods
            15.2 @ 89.13mph-1/4 mile
            9.73 @ 72.01mph-1/8 mile

Comment

Carnauba wax is great for a deep shine but it wears off quickly. It offers little to no real protection from the elements. Most people use it as a "topper" just to increase the depth of the shine.

I have been using Zaino. You can see some pics here:
              http://www.supermotors.org/registry/...=17553#content

These pictures were taken after stripping the previous Zaino coats, using a claybar, using 3M's Perfect It III swirl and haze remover, and applying 2 coats of Klasse All In One Protectant. Then, I applied two coats of the Zaino.

Keep in mind that Zaino is a protectant and a polish. It is neither a wax nor has any swirl-filling properties.

To remove scratches, you must first use a swirl and scratch remover. A good polisher such as a Porter Cable will help make this job much easier.

The shine on the Vic is still fantastic after several months and I continue to get compliments.

You should check out http://www.autopia.org/forums/index.php.

There is much to be learned about car care on that forum.
              The 2003 Marauder 300A F.I.T #003
              The 1998 P71 Jinbei. SOLD!
              The 2001 P71 (Flying Snow).

Comment

Originally posted by Embassy

Carnauba wax is great for a deep shine but it wears off quickly. It offers little to no real protection from the elements. Most people use it as a "topper" just to increase the depth of the shine.

I have been using Zaino. You can see some pics here:
                http://www.supermotors.org/registry/...=17553#content

These pictures were taken after stripping the previous Zaino coats, using a claybar, using 3M's Perfect It III swirl and haze remover, and applying 2 coats of Klasse All In One Protectant. Then, I applied two coats of the Zaino.

Keep in mind that Zaino is a protectant and a polish. It is neither a wax nor has any swirl-filling properties.

To remove scratches, you must first use a swirl and scratch remover. A good polisher such as a Porter Cable will help make this job much easier.

The shine on the Vic is still fantastic after several months and I continue to get compliments.

You should check out http://www.autopia.org/forums/index.php.

There is much to be learned about car care on that forum.
                Your the man! :rock:

Holly 4 barrel with K&N
                4 Speed with granny gear

Comment

My advice would be to follow embassy's advice. In my opinion, he seems to be able to get his vic cleaner then any I have seen. Beautiful car.

-Jeff-
                  My CarDomain Page
                  2002 P74
                  Arizona Beige
                  20% Tints All Around
                  Tinted Tailights
                  Clear Corners
                  Sound System
                  Leather Interior

Comment

Originally posted by BeefyBeefo
                    My advice would be to follow embassy's advice. In my opinion, he seems to be able to get his vic cleaner then any I have seen. Beautiful car.

-Jeff-
                    Yes, I have never seen a Vic as clean as his.

Holly 4 barrel with K&N
                    4 Speed with granny gear

Comment

Embassy,

Thanks for the help and the link, lots of good info there. It looks like I gotta order some more Zaino and prep for it right.

:broccoli:
                      Supercharged '03 Mercury Marauder - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by HwyCruiser
                        Embassy,

Thanks for the help and the link, lots of good info there. It looks like I gotta order some more Zaino and prep for it right.

Glad to help out. Please post some pics of your results.
                        The 2003 Marauder 300A F.I.T #003
                        The 1998 P71 Jinbei. SOLD!
                        The 2001 P71 (Flying Snow).

Comment

Working...
                        X