Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok i m running all this sound stuff how can i power it

sigpic
    1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

With that kind of current draw I'd suggest a second alternator and power system just for the audio/video stuff that is independant of the main electrical system on the car.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

how would i run a second alentnator i dont know how much draw it would be
      sigpic
      1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

Yes I would definatley power all that seperatly. Second alternator second battery. What are you using to create the Craetive 7.1 surround sound is it home audio or car audio?
        1992 GrandMarquis LS
        The boat with the sound.

Comment

I think you'll be fine with a single high output alternator - also a second battery with an isolator solenoid if you plan to run all that stuff with the car not running.

The sound system and PC shouldn't pull all that much jiuce, not any more than any other aftermarket stereo. The TV's Im not sure, check the specs and see how much current they draw.
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

its a home sound system
            Last edited by 83countrysquire; 06-16-2006, 07:44 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

Looks like a nice setup hopefully you can get it going!
              1992 GrandMarquis LS
              The boat with the sound.

Comment

I was only thinking seperate power system for reduced interference from engine electrics, etc and better voltage stability. Essentually you'd need to come up with some sort of bracketing system to mount the alternator. If you're removing the AC that would be a perfect spot for it, or maybe you could use the old smog pump location. I'd go with a one-wire alt just for simplicity. Single positive cable to the secondary system, and it would share a common ground. Not much to it really. You could do it with a single big alternator but I would still definitely suggest at least a secondary battery.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

if your removing your a/c compressor then a '84 t-bird with a 5.0 has an alt. bracket that will mount to the passenger side right where the a/c bracket goes. i've thought about adding one to my car since the a/c don't work any how...
                  sigpic"I love it when a plan comes together." Hanibal Smith (A-Team)

Comment

Originally posted by 83countrysquire
                    its a home sound system

thats a whole nother story!!!

you'll need a power invertor - and I havent seen any that are not very innifeicient... also home electronics dont tend to be very eficcient either, so you will definitly have major power needs. 00 gauge wrire to the power invertor for sure. This could go to your 2nd battery powerec by the other alt, wich may not be too hard to intall as said in place of the AC with some creativity.
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

You may want to check out a set up from an ambulance or rv.The ambulance use lease nevilles alts...they also have very big inverters for powering monitors...iv pumps and other stuff when doing inter hospital transports (I was in charge maintance for a couple of years on my squad) You can find that stuff at junk yards...I know of a big yard..( Newcombers) In Waynesboro PA that has a bunch of units from Baltimore...You may want to check..If you wagon had a police option there may have been an optional second alt set up...Check with an up fitter for emergency veh.They may have already had to do that kind of set up before for a fire chiefs car or comand car....PL custom body in Wall Nj.....Odessey emergency veh in Wharton Nj...3 Guys fire apartatus in western Md. I hope this helps
                      President He Man Woman Haters Club

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,But rather skid in broadside,Thourghly used up totaly worn out & loudly proclaiming...WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!

http://www.myspace.com/dabearsplace

Comment

All your gonna need is a power invertor. That mimi Mac will probably only need ~100 watts to power it. What I would do is add up the max power rating on all the stuff you plan on installing and buy a power invertor that can power it all properly. Just make sure your charging system is up to par. What your installing is by no means a "high powered" system, 1 alt is fine, 1 battery is fine unless your gonna run it with the car off alot.

Comment

I would guess you'd need somewhere around 400 to 500 watts for that system. 110 for the Mac, 150 for the speakers and 200 for the 4 monitors. This is just a guess though, most of those are probably on the high side. The manufactures sites should give you power consumption figures. Apple claims 110 for the mini...

Comment

My kenwood surround sound reciever says it draws 2.0 amps. Maybe that helps maybe not.
                            1989 Grand Marquis LS
                            flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Working...
                            X