Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to professionally clean your engine (56k no)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to professionally clean your engine (56k no)

I've done this for many years with better results almost everey time.

engines build up dirt and grease over years. this is worse when you drive in dusty areas frequently.

I am doing this on my '89 Ford LTD CrownVic as its been sitting for a while, and was never washed since new. thats 17 years, 129K miles of dust, dirt, grease, etc.

you will be surprised, and almost baffled as to what lies unerneath caked on grease.

anyway for professional results, you will need the following:

pressure washer (most local self-serve car washes have one, use it)

and one or 2 cans of this:

i STRONGLY reccomend using gunk heavy-duty engine brite. its strong and will break down the toughest grease. dont use the foamy stuff or some cheapo off-brand crap. you wont see the same results.

depending on how big your engine bay is, and how dirty the engine is, you may need a 2nd can. in my case, i used up one full can, and touched up with a 2nd one. the bare minum, use one entire can if you havent ever washed your engine. the really nasty spots, soak it well.

also get some clothes that can get soaked and stained, and goggles

before you even begin:

make sure you have all connections secured, nothing is loose. if you have a distributor cap, secure it tightly, or cover it in a plastic bag.

warm up your engine. the heat will help break down the grease faster.

after about 15 mins, turn off your engine.

if you have a round air cleaner, block off the opening. if you want to clean the intake, remove it and cover the carbureter opening with a plastic bag & rubber band.

on multi-port fuel injected cars, just make sure everething is secure, and tight. no openings are present.

now you can spray down the engine with the cleaner. dont use up the entire thing because you will have to hit some spots later on.

the gunk cleaner has a directional spray which helps a great deal

you will see it actually move some of the light grease.

after spraying, take a break. 5 mins minimum. i usually wait 10-15 mins. this will break down the heavy grease.

after waiting, spray down again the heavy spots with the cleaner.

now get some goggles and prepare to get wet. fire up your pressure washer. start spraying down the engine relentessly. go nuts.

note: if your using a carwash washer, use the "rinse" or "water" settings. do not use additional soap

get into everey spot possible. you will see the pressure just sweep away all the grease.

there will be steam rsing if the engine is hot. ignore this

soak the engine down real well.

let it dry for about 5 mins.

after 5 mins, start the engine (remove any plastic coverings) and let the engine run for a while. this will help dry the engine bay frther.

you should by now see the dramatic change:

well there you have it.

if you want some sparkle for show, spray down the plastics with armor-all and let it sit.
    LTD is still here

oh and Pete, i dont wanna hear your shit that "its not the same"

some of us fucks dont have the time to really detail evereything. i cant finish my LTD cause of work. its been sitting for 2 months.

2ndly, its the best thing to do before breaking down an engine and going over evereything with a toothbrush.
    LTD is still here

Comment

It's not the same.
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

go fuck yourself. at least i'm still with my 2 panthers LoL
        LTD is still here

Comment

Mine aren't rusted out.

Comment

nor are mine
            LTD is still here

Comment

Bondo covers things well then, doesn't it?

Comment

bondo wha?
                LTD is still here

Comment

Looks good Epi. Your tire is also flat on one side

I usually don't use the Gunk because it smells like kerosene, and I hate that smell. Usually I use purple power with pretty decent results, and no kero smell. Definitely use the pressure washer and the warm engine bit. It just doesn't work otherwise.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Looks good. How come you didn't cover you distributor or alt? I did that all the time when I washed my 350 in my old pickup. I wish it was that easy to wash my mod motor but I give it a sponge bath or it will miss until it dries, I need to put some dielectric grease on my plug boots. But for maintence a sponge a soapy water works great.
                    2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

because only pansies do that.

i've been doing it for too long. just dont overspray the alt or distributor and you'll be ok. i've NEVER fried an alt before.
                      LTD is still here

Comment

That looks really good :banana: Last time I washed my engine it fucked the MAP up, likely it was already on its way out though. I'm alittle nervous to do it again, but I'm going to. Gotta get some of the Gunk degreaser.

Comment

Im too skurred to use a pressure washer... when I did my engine I just stripped it down to here and did some soak-scrub-light rinse action. Its nice and dirty again - I plan to try a steam cleaner next.

Last edited by 85crownHPP; 06-18-2006, 10:48 PM.
                          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                          sigpic
                          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

That's a nice write-up.

For what it's worth, here's mine.
                            The 2003 Marauder 300A F.I.T #003
                            The 1998 P71 Jinbei. SOLD!
                            The 2001 P71 (Flying Snow).

Comment

You really shouldn't get water in your alt.
                              Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                              Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X