3 speed auto to 4 ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 speed auto to 4 ...

so what would it take to change a (EDIT: 86 ford LTD, sorry for the typo) 87 ford LTD -3 speed automatic to a 90 CV -4 speed automatic?
    Last edited by beep_beep; 06-20-2006, 06:01 AM.

Huh? Both should be 4 speed. Three and OD.
    '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
    '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

there is no 3 speed in the 1987 boxes.............townys have had 4 speed auto's since 1980, not sure when vics, gm's got em prob no later than 1983........if you only have 3 speeds, there is a problem

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

1980 for Vic's and Mercs, too...or maybe '81....
        '95 Ford Bronco XL -

Comment

oh dang that is my fault ... an 86 LTD 3 speed
          sorry about the typo

Comment

Does it have a v6? I think the AOD bolts up to them....
            '95 Ford Bronco XL -

Comment

Originally posted by BoxMan
              Does it have a v6? I think the AOD bolts up to them....
              yes the 3.8 V6 ...

Comment

AOD should bolt right in then. Might have to work out the TV cable, but probably a TV setup from a Tbird or whatever should fit right up. Actually, since many fox body cars had AODs in those years, I imagine you could steal most any part of the linkage or crossmember you might need to put it together.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
                  AOD should bolt right in then. Might have to work out the TV cable, but probably a TV setup from a Tbird or whatever should fit right up. Actually, since many fox body cars had AODs in those years, I imagine you could steal most any part of the linkage or crossmember you might need to put it together.
                  - oh that is GREAT news, i am not to fond of only haveing 3 gears ...
                  - well the only thing i am worried is about if the speedo will be correct after the switch
                  - what would a decent price be from a tranny shop switching out the tranny's?
                  or reasonable price? lol

Comment

yea rob the aod and parts required from a cougar or thunderbird up to 87

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Just find out what rear your LTD has and get the correct speedo gear for the AOD to match it up.

Price for an average shop to do this kind of swap is anyone's guess. I'd say $expensive. Its not a major chore if you've got the tools and ability to swap a trans yourself.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ok sorry i have been gone for so long ...

well i have a tranny ... so i am looking for the parts to change to the 4 speed

i have to have the car done in around 3 1/2 months ...

so if there is anyone that has the parts or can get them for me i sure could use the help, thanks

Comment

You know, a T-5 would be a good swap into there, with mustang parts!
                          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Working...
                          X