Power steering pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power steering pump

Well, I started hearing this loud noise when starting my car. It is very loud and reminds me of when my belt tensioner started going, a real loud vibration/whining. I replaced the tensioner last year but didn't do the idler at the same time cause I suck. So I just assumed that it was the idler and replaced it today(5 min.). Let's just say it wasn't the idler .Well while the belt was off I was looking for loose shit, and the power steering pump pulley had a bunch of play in it, I can push/pull the pulley/shaft in and out about 1/4-1/2 inch. I doubt there should be that much play, so I'm guessing I have to change the pump. $85 for re-man., $15 at the junkyard. I'm thinking of going the junkrard route, since it's so cheap. Is this a PITA? Someone mentioned flush the system, it may help it.
    Has anyone replaced the pump? How hard is it? Has anyone had a similar problem and the flush fixed it? I know I flushed the system when I replaced the steering box and that wasn't that long ago so that doesn't look too promising. Also : I know they changed the P/S systems in the Panthers and that they have different fittings. My car is a 1993. Which years would fit and what is the most recent year that would fit?
    Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give, Thank You
    My car is a Shelby SVT Cobra GT Boss Grand Marquis Type R

Well, I'm glad no one responded to my plea. Yeah, I'm the huge dickhead who believes in calling things what they actually are. So when I ask for advice on a power steering pump, I actually meant it, and it didn't mean I want people to shun me.
    Like I GAS.....
    I went to the boneyard and got the freakin' $15 PS pump. Have you guys ever removed a PS pump from a MOD motor before? All I can say is there isn't much room. It took a while but I got it. So I'll be replacing it tomorrow.

Thanks guys for allyour help, I appreciate it.
    Just because I have some different beliefs doesn't mean I don't take care of business.
    Tom If you want me to leave the site just say so.

Nice "tech section"...so helpful

Comment

I don't know what your problem is, but I hope you correct it someday.

As for the pump, that's probably what it is
      Last edited by grandpaslincoln; 06-22-2006, 12:52 AM.
      Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
      Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Holy shit dude it isn't about that. This isn't a big site for 4.6 tech. I would help you but I have never worked on my ps system before other the changing the fluid. It has nothing to do with your battlefield posts. Read this thread maybe it will help you, http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=9415.
        I know it is hard but tech sections have to start somewhere. We are rising in the number of 4.6 guys but there still isn't much posting going on in here. I always try to throw in my 2 cents in this area if I know anything about the subject.
        2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

yeah mang - we mostly box people!!!!!!!!
          But we hope you can help us chnage that. Everyone is entitled to their veiws here. I dont even know what its about!
          Except the panthers.

As far as i know, its not too different than doing it on a box. Not much different that pulling the alternator, except you have to dig alittle deeper, undo the two hydraulic lines and probably need a pulley puller to swap yours onto the new pump.

good luck!
          Last edited by 85crownHPP; 06-22-2006, 01:09 AM.
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

for some reason the box people tend to be less assholes, cause im no longer a box owner, (83 towncar) and yea, im an asshole, or horses ass, or smartass, depending on which end your looking at

Comment

Yeah, I would like to apologize for the way that shit came across. It just seemed like I was being ignored. I now see that I was wrong. But when it takes 5 seconds for someone to call me an asshat, but en entire day with no response when it came to helping me out, I just put two and two together....
              Thank you for your responses, guys. I will be swapping the old pump out either today or this weekend. I think I'm going to go back to the yard because I saw an aero like mine with a brand new headlight! Sucks that there's only the one, the other is as yellow as can be. Passenger side is crystal clear...snap-ring pliers and twenty bucks, woo-hoo!
              I do have some pics of shit I've done to my ride, maybe I could help the tech section out a little.

Comment

You're not exactly on a 4.6L tech board, bud. The majority of members here are box owners, with less than 1% being a '91 Town Car owner.

Expecting an answer period seems a bit officious; nevertheless expecting an answer the same day.

Comment

Originally posted by mephistopheles
                  You're not exactly on a 4.6L tech board, bud. The majority of members here are box owners, with less than 1% being a '91 Town Car owner.

Expecting an answer period seems a bit officious; nevertheless expecting an answer the same day.

Are you my bud?!
                  If there's no 4.6 board, then why is there a 4.6 forum? Sorry, I'm new here so I don't know what to expect. I made a mistake, and I apologized for it. I don't know what else you want me to do.
                  Should the site be called www.boxmarq.net?

p.s. I have nothing against boxes BTW...

Comment

Alright, enough people.

Yeah mang, unfortunately this site isnt huge on 4.6 tech... I really wish that it wwould change though... Ask anyone, i'm always trying to get more 4.6 peeps in here!
                    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Dude just do what I do, post it here first and have these guys have a crack at it first. Then it starts up the tech section alittle and maybe gets your question answered. If there are no replies to the thread for awhile go over to cvn and search. No need to post there unless it is really specific and you can't find it in the search. I have yet to do that search is usually enough. That is exactly what I do and it works well at that, so everyone benefits. I wish the other 4.6 guys would take this same approach on here. You will find if you haven't already that the same questions get asked all the time in cvn's tech section so it is no fun. I believe in this site and one day this tech section will be just as busy as the 5.0 tech. Take it for what it is worth mercenvy you just have to understand this about this site.
                      2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

Ok...Ok....I just read this...I tell ya some times I feel that way mang but I have to tell ya they guys here are ok.....As for the PS issue yes sounds like typical ford pump...no there should be no play...As for flush the PS system...you bet and if you can find one install an inline filter...As for the flush unless you have a machine...You can try to get as much fluid out as pos and try to blow the lines out....Once you refill you may want to add some BG ford PS conditioner....You can go to the BG web site....Once full start the motor and turn the wheel lock to lock about 6 times...Recheck the fluid and add as needed..I will say this they will make noise for alittle while after..Drive it alittle and if it keeps doing it there may be an issue...you will notice the noise decrease the more you drive...Give me a shout if there are any problems....He is my work number....most days 7-6 301-695-9664..Ask for John
                        President He Man Woman Haters Club

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,But rather skid in broadside,Thourghly used up totaly worn out & loudly proclaiming...WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!

http://www.myspace.com/dabearsplace

Comment

Most of the obvious things that come up are covered by sticky post by me and some others on here and eliminate the 400 threads of what is eec code 420 and so on. This is why there are not many post here in 4.6. Most of the info in need is stickified.

Comment

merc envy - you got the right idea - I see you are already helping us to solve that issue and we apreciate that.
                            Also I see you noticed we have a few a-holes and alabama boys who like to blow on the fire. Just ignore them

good luck with the pump!
                            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                            sigpic
                            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Hey dude....

I just did this job twice in the past month. I didn't have a problem getting the pulley off with a loaner tool from Advance Auto but getting it on was a PITA. I ended up breaking the stud that screws into the pump shaft. Pulley still had at least a quarter inch to go. Said fuck it and ended up driving it like that until I discovered the pump EVO valve AND the newly rebuilt steering box I had put in were both bad. When I took it back to the dealer to get another, I had them swap the pulley. They did it for free, I just slipped the tech dude a $20.

Any questions, feel free to E-mail: mrbear3800@yahoo.com
                              1995 Grand Marquis LS, digi dash, loaded
                              124,000 miles

Mods:99 PI steering gear, harsh rear IAS shocks, front KYB gas adjusts, HPP rims with Bridgestone Potenza G009's, Walker dual exhaust with direct fit Magnaflow cats

Comment

Working...
                              X