Drilled holes in doors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drilled holes in doors

Hey, I just took my car to the shop to get my two window motors replaced and when I got it back I noticed they drilled three holes in each door frame(bottom/ middle of door). I can see a bolt under each hole. Is it normal for them to drill holes to gain access to the these three bolts? The car is 1986 Grand Marquis Coupe. Thanks

1986 Grand Marquis LS coupe [/url] http://photos.yahoo.com/leo76830
    sigpic
    1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
    Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

This is normal. There is no access holes in the doors. To remove the motor bolts, you have to drill the holes.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

its what I had to do as well....

btw NICE MERC!!!! I love that light blue color.
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Okay, that makes me feel a lot better, I thought they were just being lazy. I picked up some Por15 to coat the bare metal where they drilled and will just pop some standard body plugs in to seal it off. All but one are completely covered by the trim panels. Thanks for the info and compliments.

1986 Grand Marquis LS coupe [/url] http://photos.yahoo.com/leo76830
        Attached Files
        sigpic
        1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
        Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

It was obviously too much for Fords door cutters to make 3 small holes in the door while they were making the other holes.

At least you don't have to guess where to drill. The doors have dimples in the three spots where drilling is required. Just drill your hole, make sure it's big enough to fit an 8mm socket on an extension through and you're good to go.
          Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

You can change em without drilling but its a PITA.
            Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Originally posted by p71towny
              You can change em without drilling but its a PITA.
              Yeah no kidding. It sucks!
              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Working...
              X