I messed up with my blower motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I messed up with my blower motor

So I got a cheap 91 GM, and have been working on it for several months now. I want to remove all the useless wires, etc (why? Weight loss, and because there seems to be a short somewhere that I need to find). Everything has been going fine, but all of a sudden, the blower motor just runs regardless of the fan setting (Even with the controls in OFF position). I've spent a fair amount of time tracing the wires, and havn't found the problem. Anyone got any suggestions?

Where were you messing with wires at, under the hood or under the dash? First thing that comes to mind is somehow the wiring on the blower resistor got shorted or messed with, or the fan switch broke inside the car.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I was gonna say those fan switches go bad, but if it runs with the selector off... thats a doosey.
      what wires have you removed so far??? most of them are important, except what you find not hooked up to anything i guess.
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Just removed all the disconnected ones. I've been pulling wires out from both the dash and engine compartment. I've removed all stereo speaker and premium sound wires (minus a few that go up into the dash where I can't get at them), and I've remove 4 wires that come in through the firewall on the passenger side (this is probably where the trouble started), but they were all disconnected... I need to take some pictures and ask you guys what some things are... but it's raining at the moment...

My short happens on fuse 8. With fuse 8 installed, I get huge amp draw (less than 15, but more than my little multimeter will show). I have disconnected every reachable connector in the dash. it still draws current. When I connect and disconnect the power, I get a clicking sound from the passenger side dash area (one click). Not sure what that would be. At this point I'm looking at pulling the entire dash to get at the wires that I can't get at.

Comment

yeah pics would help - Im still confused though, I wouldnt think that just removing wires woulf make the blower fan stay on all the time. Did you re-wire anything in that area maybe?
          Im thinking the blower might have a relay... maybe thats the click you hear.
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

d'oh - forgot about the blower resistor... those things and the wiring for them can short out like our headlight switches...
            Look for a group of 4 or 5 wires going into the firewall (under the hood) into what looks like a little plate with two bolts olding it in. behind that is the resistor coils... pull that and check the connector and the coils. Its just the the right of the bolwer motor near the top of the firewall, kinda behind the back right corner of the intake plenum.

If thats the problem, it still wouldnt make sense to me that it stays on with the whole climate system shut down.
            sigpic

Comment

Doesn't make sense to me either. I made some progress yesterday: tracing the green with yellow stripe wire (always on, supplies to radio, under hood light, dash clock, etc). It splits off, and one goes into the dash where I can't follow it. Cutting that removed the power drain, and the clicking. I'll investigate the resistor coils today, thanks for the tip...

Comment

Ok, so I figure the draw through that wire is about 5 amps. Here are some pictures of things.... assuming that I know how to post pictures. As you can see, the resistor is a little corroded... also, the picture under the driver's side, anyone know what the missing relay does? The white connector looks like it should have a relay, but doesn't. Anyone know what the relay and other box with wires under the passenger side do?
                Attached Files

Comment

That relay is for your flux capacitor.
                  2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
                  1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
                  1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Well, the green wire went to glove box light bulb. I really need to switch to led's all over. Those old incandescent light bulbs really use a lot of juice. I feel silly for confusing a light bulb for a short. I still have the blower motor problems though. Still trying to figure them out.

Comment

That blower motor controller is completely different than mine. The one I have sits inside the air plenum and its just a bunch of coils with a bigass plug on it. Yours is the fancy electronical type. I guess its possible that the transistor could have shorted and its running full out now. Does the blower stop when thats unplugged?
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i know this is an old post but i was wondering if any one ever figured out what was the problem, mine has recently done the same thing, it doesnt shut off regaurdless of the position of the switch, i have the atc, its a 91 grand marq, i was looking for the resistor but i couldnt see it (really didnt know what i was looking for) any help here would be great.
                        i havent been messing with anything lately, it just started full blast one day when i started my car, i pulled the fuse for now but i would like to fix it,
                        :merk:

Comment

bad grounds can do wonderful things like blowers that run for no reason or wipers that stay on when you have a door open or something like that. electricity sometimes finds the path of least resistance by feeding back through another accessory to find a ground.
                          '88 Colony Park, white with wood grain contact paper, K code axle, hose pliers on heater hoses, factory duals, big plans in the future...

'83 Toyota 4x4, 31x10.50 15, could use a new carb, custom humidifying holes in the roof, mud based paint...

Comment

what he said /\
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X