Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick Question (CFI crankcase breather - PVC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Question (CFI crankcase breather - PVC)

On my Snorkal that goes into the breather, can i plug that hose? due to it's spraying oil into my breather .?.?

If not any one know a way to fix this?

Thanks.
    Dark
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

It's supposed to vent into there. If it's blowing a lot of oil, then there is something wrong, IE pistons wore out and are letting too much by.

Comment

Your car is an 85 with a stock CFI 5.0 right? If it is, then your PCV valve is probably clogged and causing a buildup of pressure which is blowing oil into the intake. I think there is also a special PCV filter/screen you need for CFI cars since they tend to have a problem with oil getting into the intake. My TBI blazer did the same thing, I ended up using a breather from a 4.9L 80's caddy to prevent oil from gumming up the air cleaner.

If that doesn't solve the problem and its still does it, check the motor's compression. Like Blaze said, alot of oil will be excessive blow by from the pistons or bad bearing causing excessive crank case pressure. Though usually when these motors get to this point, they have a bad rod knock and smoke alot. The stock 88 lopo 5.0 in my friend's 88 GM did this, you could hear the rod knock before he even turned down my street.
      Last edited by 87mefull; 06-26-2006, 10:57 PM.
      Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
      2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:
      Father's 1994 Ford Crown Victoria - Stock, 45,000 miles.
      Sold in 2007 - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Grandpa Special" 2 door.
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2128327

Comment

Yep, it's a CFI Ive changed the pcv Valve not long ago maybey two mounth's ago, On my breather it has a "Catch" I guess that the snorkal plug's into, and if i rember it had some type of foam thing when i got it. When i took it out to clean it though.it fell apart. ;-( Could it be i need a new one of theese? and what is it. just plastic foam?

Funny thing about it is when i got it the people that had it before me did absoloteley nothing to it. not even a oil change so when i checked the breather, it had id say 3 inches of oil all around it. which coldent have been good for it, :-/,

And by chance is the IE pistions easy to fix? or a pain in the butt?

Thanks,
        Dark
        People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

with the engine running, pull the PCV valve out of the hose and put your finger over the hose end to feel for suction. If you dont feel any or much, you may need to give the nipple at the other end of the hose a coathanger enema.
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Where is the other end. my uper hose is cut off and pluged :/ This is that catch i was talking about btw.

Thanks agine,

Dark

Comment

That aircleaner looks nice!
              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Update i found the other end it goes to a Humm looks like a cup.... a black cup that is.... And thanks Grand Marquis :->

Comment

There should be a foam filter inside the black plastic housing that the PCV line attaches to inside the air filter housing. Most parts stores sell it, or you could probably make one.

Mine gets a little oily from normal use, and occasionally will puke about 1/2 quart in the course of 50 miles. My friend that's an ASE certified techician says the rings are rotating and sometimes the gaps line up and lead to my 50 mile oil puke fest. If I had a K&N filter, it'd never need oiled!
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Thanks Tiggie, i must say i love your wording though Ill prob make my owen foam thing im thinking of useing a Spounge :-> Cuting me a pice to fit :->

Comment

a sponge doesnt make a good breather!!! you can get PROPER oem replacements at any autoparts store.

Im talking about the other end of the hose that the PCV valve gets sucked on by. it must suck! if it doesnt, it wonk clear the crankcase pressure and could be contributing to the oil collection in the air cleaner.

ps, Im stealing this thread to the CFI forum!!!!!
                      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                      sigpic
                      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Heh that end sucks... Defanetley sucks. The end i am talking about though comes out of the other side of the valve cover gaskets , it's the snorkal. And u plug it into a black houseing area inside the breather. I havent Put anything inside of that housing though.

On a Side note i did put my TPS on today. and i must say maaaan is that a pain in the butt. I still dont know if i have all of it put on right butt. it runs at the moment and i cant tell any difrence in sound or power or. well anything.

But, i do know it needed a new one for sure but the spliced wires....

Any how thanks guys, :->
                        Dark

Comment

Working...
                        X