Cleaning the MAF - how?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning the MAF - how?

My 1993 TC sometimes starts weak. I just put new wires and plugs on it. It seems as thoug it may be "gasping for air" when it first starts. I was told I should clean the MAF sensor. How do I clean it (heck, how do I find it?) And are there other things I should do? Also, my TC has 156K miles on it, and the gas mileage is about 20-21 mph average, combo of highway and city. Is that good or are there things I should do to make it better? Any and all advice appreciated as usual.
    Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
    Bone stock... for now.

You need some electical contact cleaner. It comes in a spray can and you spray it on it and that is it. To take that maf out of the housing you need a T-15 or T-20 (can't remember which one exactly) tamper proof torx bit to get the 2 screws out. Then it simply slides right out of the housing.
    2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

If for some reason you can't find the "security torx" bit, you can take a dremel and cut a slot in the top, allowing you to use a flathead screwdriver to remove the bolts. Then you can just reinstall regular torx-head bolts.

Personally I think your MPGs are pretty good. My car has a lot of miles and gets 21-23 MPGs. Cleaning the MAF is easy, but take care not to damage the small ceramic-coated wires. If you break them it's off to the dealer(or the junkyard) to get another. Also for the gasping maybe it's your IAC?
      My car is a Shelby SVT Cobra GT Boss Grand Marquis Type R

Comment

I got the my tamper proof torx bits at advance autoparts. They are out there just look for them.
        2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

The MAF is the (most likely) silver thing attached to the air filter housing lid. It's bolted to the lid with an accordian looking hose clamped to the other side. As zwack88 said, pulling the sensor out of the housing is the best way to clean it. Just be sure not to damage the sensor wires or your be getting a new MAF.

The MPG sounds like it's right in line. Other things you can do: Replace the 02 sensors if they haven't been. (Most people don't think about them...and they should be changed every 50k or so) Clean the EGR passages. (This will improve idle quality and MPG a little if they are clogged) Beyond that, normal tune-up stuff...filters, PCV valve, etc....

Ray
          Car: 2004 Mercury Marauder
          Engine/Tranny: 49k miles and bone stock....for now

Comment

We use a special cleaner made specific for mafs made by car quest....Do not use carb cleaner or any other type of cleaner it will destroy the maf....I think your mileage is good
            President He Man Woman Haters Club

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,But rather skid in broadside,Thourghly used up totaly worn out & loudly proclaiming...WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!

http://www.myspace.com/dabearsplace

Comment

Originally posted by Datdambear
              We use a special cleaner made specific for mafs made by car quest....Do not use carb cleaner or any other type of cleaner it will destroy the maf....I think your mileage is good
              Honestly, I thought the mileage was probably pretty good too, but I wanted to check with you guys more experienced in Pantherness. I love this TC. I will check out the local auto parts stores (don't know if we have CarQuest around here) and see if I can get the MAF cleaner. Thanks for the imput guys!
              Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
              Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Linky...>Linky...
                -Michael

Comment

Working...
                X