Question for the Mercury folks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the Mercury folks

Are any of you running LED bulbs in your speedometer? If so, how do they look?
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

If they do, Im sure they look great

Thinking about the new merc???? Im sure they would work fine.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Matter of fact, I'm thinking of replacing all the interior bulbs with blue leds.

Comment

nice!!!!

i think some places the older style inverted LED bulbs might work better than the new style ones, like the ash tray and glove box. Also cig lighter housings, key locks, any where the bulb isnt in direct view or doesnt point strait out of the lamp assembly
        Those are like a buck apiece now too, lol
        Last edited by 85crownHPP; 06-28-2006, 02:28 AM.
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I ordered some for my speedo about a week ago, the same ones that pete suggested. I'l get a pic up when i get them in, it should look great!

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
          1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
          1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

Dammit, I think a trend has started here. I just got my blue leds from hong kong the other day, I only installed them in the doors since I have to wait until the weekend to replace the speedo bulbs. What about the courtesy bulbs in the lower dash though, they don't look like leds would work with them. They use old style bulbs with a seperate contact plate connected to plug. The dome light uses a strange bulb or led also.
            Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
            2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:
            Father's 1994 Ford Crown Victoria - Stock, 45,000 miles.
            Sold in 2007 - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Grandpa Special" 2 door.
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2128327

Comment

Just installed the blue 194 led's in the dash today, the same ones that blaze and 85crownhpp have in the dash. Its harder to do on merc clusters vs. vics plus you need 5 to 6 blue(or what color you use) 194 led bulbs.

First, to get to the merc cluster, you need to remove the dash pad and unplug the battery. Then remove the trim around the cluster, you can leave everything else on there. To get the headlight switch out, pull it all the way out and turn it both ways until it disconnects, might take a minute or two. Then there are 4 torque screws you need to remove that hold the cluster in place, one on each corner of it. After its unscrewed, turn the ignition key on to the on position, drop the gear level down to 1st gear, and make sure the parking brake is on plus block the wheels. This will allow you to pull the cluster out to have access to all the bulbs, otherwise you will not be able to get your hand in there for the ones you need.

I left the idiot lights alone along with the parking brake bulb, so 7 of the bulbs on the dash display do not need led replacements unless you want to buy more bulbs. I replaced my turn signals with leds, which look cool during the daytime. So, it leaves you with 3 bulbs on the right, two on the left of the cluster plus the one bulb at the top for the gear indicator, which is the easiest to get to first. I found the easiest way to do it was to replace all the bulbs by reaching from the left side of the cluster, except for the two on the corner of the right side of the cluster.

The end result was awesome, but I need a better camera. It makes it look like the cluster is really bright on some areas and I couldn't get a still picture even when I wasn't moving. I think the leds reflected into the lens or something else or I don't have a good setting for that type of picture. The cluster looks just like anyone who has replaced their stock bulbs with leds, I can guarantee that and I was definitely not disappointed.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by 87mefull; 06-30-2006, 08:47 PM.
              Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
              2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:

Comment

I LIKE THAT!!!

Thanks for the pics mang!

Comment

Damn those are bright!

I'm gonna put blue LED's in GL's dash, someday lol
                  Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                  Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Wow...
                    '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                    '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

That was always my concern about going to LED, that I wouldn't be able to see the dash properly. OK, now I have no excuse, other than I need to pick a color.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That looks great, but you would be fine just replacing the five bulbs for illumination right?

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
                        1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)

Comment

I just edited the post above, I forgot to mention I replaced the turn signals bulbs with leds. I was worn out from a long day of work and I put the smog pump (wanted to let the engine cool) back on at the same time when I changed the bulbs, wasn't even paying enough attention to what I was doing. I put in as many bulbs as I thought I would need because I was afraid it wasn't going to work, I seen it happen when I tried to do the same thing with my dad's camaro. I also didn't realize that I replaced the turn signal bulbs either but it looks cool in the daytime.

That would make for three on the speedo side of the cluster, one for the gear indicator, and I think 2 to 3 on the left side of the cluster though. You would be fine if you ordered 6 bulbs, they are usually sold in pairs. There might be only 2 on the left side of the cluster that control illumination, one right below the brake light and then one right where the gas gauge is. I thought might have been 3 on the left side, but I only really replaced every top corner light that I could get on both sides.

Associated Panthers:

Comment

hell yes!!!!! Spread the LED fever!!!!!!!!!!
                            sigpic

Comment

Ya, i just double checked and there are 5 total. 3 on speedo side and 2 on the gas guage side. the one above the gear selector is only for the high beam light, but since it is blue anyways it would work out just fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X