the tranny in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the tranny in

my dads 88 colony park wit overdrive trans has lost 3rd gear! it happened on the hiway when the car was in overdrive(was struggling in OD) and it suddenly lost power, i pulled off to the side of the road, put it into park and back to drive(D) and it would only shift to 2nd gear. is the tranny shot? or somthin in the valve body?

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

My LTC did that once. It shifted from first to second, and then the engine just kept winding up and up, wouldn't shift to 3rd. So I put it in OD, then put it back down into drive, it shifted to 3rd gear, never had another problem with it.

Did it feel like the transmission was slipping at all? I don't have any definate answers for you, my experience with AOD's is limited. Someone will chime in. good luck man.
    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Sounds like a TV linkage problem. Check to see if it is connected to the throttle lever, or if it is binding down by the transmission.

DO NOT DRIVE IT AGAIN UNTIL THIS IS FIXED!!!

Let us know what you figure out.
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

i feel stupid asking this because i probably know what it is but, whats the TV linkage?is it the cable from the throttle to the tranny because, that is all good and hooked up!

Comment

it may look hooked up but the factory used a plastic or a rubber grommet and over time these deteriorate. theres a brass one available. let me try to dig up a part #. stu was cool and sent me a set of tranny seals, a filter w/gasket and the brass grommet and the cotter pin.
          Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

heres the part #:

F3SZ-7H303-B

Comment

hey, thnx alot!

Comment

Since my '91 GM has the original plastic grommet, I better hit the parts store & buy the brass replacement soon. You guy's are right about the small cost turning into a huge rebuild.
                1991 Grey Grand Marquis LS Sedan
                61,000 Miles
                1998 F150 XLT 4X2 Flareside Fire Engine Red
                52,000 Miles
                http://www.cardomain.com/id/hdlogistics

Comment

i've had about 6 aods fail me since i've had my license. i'm sure i coulda saved 5 if i had known then what i know now.

Comment

I had to visit a few Ford dealers to get the part but it only cost $2.06CAD. Seems the brass bushing is in short supply in my area.
                    1991 Grey Grand Marquis LS Sedan
                    61,000 Miles
                    1998 F150 XLT 4X2 Flareside Fire Engine Red
                    52,000 Miles
                    http://www.cardomain.com/id/hdlogistics

Comment

i forgot to ask if this bushing is on the tranny or on the cable linkage that conects to the throttle? i feel so stupid asking this! :coocoo:

Comment

Linkage

The linkage is where it connects to the throttle body... look directly under where the large butterfly is, and you will see it between the throttle linkage and the plenum.... I used to have a picture somewhere.. let me see if I can find it...

AH, here it is!!!

Also, be REAL careful putting the little pin back in... it is REALLY easy to drop it, or launch it somwhere...

Tom...

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
                        Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

i knew that, lol...thnx alot(i know alot about EFI but im a carb man!)

Comment

sounds to me like the tv cable came unhooked

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

exactly, lol, but now i got it back together and still does the same shit and there is a bit of play.

Comment

Working...
                              X