Stereo installation has begun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stereo installation has begun

This time I'm gutting the interior to do it. First, I'm going to yank as much of the old Premium Sound wiring, including the amp. I'm going to mount my amp where the factory amp went. I'm also going to rip out all the wiring the previous owner ran. It looks to be .22 and I'd rather run .14 or .16. Plus his wiring was pretty shoddy. I have the back seat almost completely out. There is one final bolt which is fighting with me. It could be the angle I'm at. I was able to break free the other ones, using the pipe off my floor jack as a breaker bar. The PITA bolt is the farthest one on the passenger side. Gutting the interior will also give me a chance to clean out, vacuum and steam clean the carpet. Pics will follow as progress commences.
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

I gave up on my back seat when I busted a torx fitting and bent another. Those things were in there good and I have a florida car.
    -Matt
    1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

yeah those things are whores.... I'm lucky to have a nice swivel head 1/2 drive ratchet to get at mine... the swivel head helps make the angle less awkward.

good job with the progress mang, I wish I had taken my back seat out the 1st time I did mine, lol
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Both mine and the car I robbed the seats out of came apart with no trouble using a 3/8" ratchet. I must have gotten really lucky, everyone else has had a bitch of a time with them. WHen I ran the wiring for mine, I actually fished the wires through with a coathanger. Never considered pulling the seat back out. Would have been easier I bet.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Not that anyone ever looks back behind the rear seat, it does make for a neater install.
          There are some wiring channels back there under the trim & some tar tape, just like whats under the door sill trim. This way all the wires pop out into the trunk where the OEM ones do, instead of through the rear firewall.
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I used a little bit of liquid wrench on the bolts and they came out with ease. If there really stuck, try spraying some on the underside of the car where the bolts come out.
            Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
            2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:
            Father's 1994 Ford Crown Victoria - Stock, 45,000 miles.
            Sold in 2007 - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Grandpa Special" 2 door.
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2128327

Comment

Working...
            X