Automatic load leveling suspension ??s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automatic load leveling suspension ??s

Yep, Fog has the automatic load leveling suspension. How does it work exactly and how will I know when to add air?
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

you shouldn't have to add air...it should have a compressor and a sensor. Should be all automatic.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I can't find anything in my books describing it. What does the system consist of? Can I buy those springs Blaze has been talking about and still use it?
      Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

I'm not exactly sure, you would have to look under the car and see if it has air shocks or air bags. If it has air bags, you can't use the springs without losing the leveling system. If it is just air shocks, you *probably* could use the springs.

Comment

Paul, the load leveling system consist of a height sensor, a "brain", a compressor, and a pair of air-assist shocks (no stand-alone air bags in 1988). The height sensor is located on the frame right above the differential, it has a long arm sticking out from it and a connecting rod that goes from this arm to the driver's side upper trailing arm. That rod is adjustable within slight tolerances, so if it's in factory neutral position by extending it you will make the "brain" think the car's loaded and put some air in the shocks, the car will lift a little. In my case when I installed the cargo springs the rear end got about 2" lift at the axle, which cause the trailing arm to pull down on the height sensor making the brain dump all the air out of the shocks - the system would still work, but it would activate only when I loaded the car so much that I pass the stock ride height, and it would only try to maintain the stock ride height and nothing higher. The soultion - a new connecting rod, about 1" longer than the stock one, with it even with the axle hanging so much down (relative to the frame) the height sensor's arm is still horisontal (neutral position), so now the system maintains slight air-pressure all the time (having no air at all is bad for the shocks) and kicks in right away when I throw something heavy in the trunk.

Point of all that - if the springs Johnie uses will retain your stock ride height in the rear you most likely won't need to play with the self-levelling system, if the car is lowered you'll need to shorten the connecting rod between the trailing arm and the height sensor, if you're getting a lift extending the connecting rod is necessary.

Comment

And there you have it...

Comment

Yup, thats pretty much it. The compressor is located up front behind the overflow/wash bottle on the frame. Otherwise thats the only other detail to the whole system.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
              X