• Show
Clear All

Ok guys trying to figure out what speaker brand I should use for my car

This is what I need for my car:
    2 10" Subs
    4 4" speakers
    2 5 1/4" speaker
    2 3 1/2" speakers
    2-4 Tweeter (what ever is best to have a perfectly blanced car)
    Now my issue is what brand should I go with dont worry about price I can work around it but doing alot of price mtaching and stuff. So whats your opion on the best car speakers for my car. Maybe later I ll show you guys the box I have for my car.
    sigpic
    1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Are you after sound quality, or volume, or both?

What type of music do you most listen to?

Comment

Both and I listen to all music except rap no offense but its just words nothing to it. I also want bass (notice the 2 10"s). But clarity to here the vocals and the lead guitarist.
      Also I want clean look to them.
      I also have a lready a 444w Sony Xplod amp and a 200w MTX amp and I am also going to have a 200 watt head unit. Any suggestions on which one I should get . With this i m a little more picticular I want it to be cool looking but fuctional with nice features such as MP3/WMA playablity and be able to plug my Ipod or my Creative Nomad Xtra 40gb into it and scroll threw my music with the head unit.
      sigpic
      1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

That's a lot of car for two 10's. I've also heard bad things about Sony car audio, although I don't have any experience with them myself.

You need to figure out what kind of budget you have for this project. I could complie a list totaling 10 grand in car audio, but that won't do me or you any good.

As far as brands to check out, Kenwood and Pioneer are both good. I'd stay away from any of the older Kenwood stuff with the rotating face, those have been known to cause problems. Clarion and Alpine are good if you have the money to spend on them.

I'm using this Kenwood in my car, I've had it for a while. I bought it after it first came out, and paid around $350 for it I think. It works well, but in sunlight the display washes out and is hard to see. I don't have mine hooked up to an exteral amp yet, but it sounds great through my stock speakers. It plays back WMA/MP3, and is Sirius and XM ready. It does not have an input on the front for an iPod, however. Most new higher end decks will do just about everything you mentioned. As far as a head unit, basically see which brand you like the looks of the most, and pick a model in their lineup.

For high-end speakers, I'd look at MB Quart. They're not cheap. When I priced them a year or so back, I was looking at around $2,000 in speakers for my car. There are other brands to check out as well, such as Polk, Elemental Designs, CDT, Infinity, Rockford Fosgate, and once again Kenwood and Pioneer. A good friend of mine uses MTX in his Focus, and they sound great. I'm sure I've forgotten some. My suggestion is to call several shops in the area and see what they reccomend, keeping in mind they'll only reccomend products you can buy from them.

Are you sure about the size speakers you've listed? I'm a novice at designing systems, but what you have seems strange. I'd probably go with 6.5" in the front and rear doors, with an 8" midbass driver in each rear door for rear fill. I'd put 1" tweets on the dash, or on the A-pillars, and at least two 12" subs in the rear in a sealed box. For more bass, you could port the boxes, but a ported box is larger than a sealed box.

I would find an installer that you trust, at a local audio shop. A real audio shop, not Best Buy or the like. I'd hang out at the shop and try and learn from them. Serious car audio isn't cheap, and spending a fortune on gear and skimping on the install isn't a good idea. With a good install, you can make a cheaply put together system sound great.

Comment

An important thing to note, is most people have never heard a good sounding system. In cars as old as yours, pretty much anything you get (save for ultra-cheap discount store brands) will be an upgrade. You don't need to have the "best brand" and high-dollar stuff to enjoy car audio. Make sure the products that you have picked out work together in the frequency ranges they're designed for. This requires component and power matching as well as properly designed crossover networks. I'd check out the Sound Domain Forums to learn as much as you can.

Comment

Always liked anything Boston Acoustics made, nice sounding, doen't cost an arm n leg.

1991 Crown Victoria LTD, Puff the Magik Dragon

Comment

Why not get some 5.25" or 6" components, mount the tweets in the dash where the 3.5'swould be. 3.5" are a waste IMO.

2 10's not enough? If it's a properly designed box, with enough power, and decent speakers 2 10's are more than enough.

In my daily driver I have only a pair of 6" JL components and a 6" JL sub. It's impressive.

JL, Infinity, Boston, Polk, JBL are good companies. I suggest listening to them though before just buying some.
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I like a little bass with my music. I like to be able to turn them down if they're overpowering, but always knowing there's more on tap if ya need it.

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
                  I suggest listening to them though before just buying some.
                  Totally, and bring some of the type of music you will be listening to.

As far as the # speakers you need Id consider the golden rule of audio which is "your system will never sound better than your speakers" and consider going w/ quality over quantity and running w/ less speakers ala mrltd.

1991 Crown Victoria LTD, Puff the Magik Dragon

Comment

i reccomend earthquake
                    http://www.earthquakesound.com/coaxial.htm

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I use Lightning Audio, they make good stuff
                      Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                      Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

I like the idea of putting tweeter under the dash -

And you by no means need to get the expensive stuff... Alpine and infinity (low upper end) is good and all, but if you go with kenweeod or pioneer (mid level) they will sound just fine.

My stereo is all mix and match stuff from EBAY, and it sounds great, many here can verify.

Also if you decide to go with amplifiers, your sound will also never sound any better than what your amps can do - I went with older Alpine amps.
                        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                        sigpic
                        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

my budget for everything is around 600 or 700 Inlcuding head unit
                          sigpic

Comment

heres what i would plan to spend -

no more than:

175 for a head unit - go with a retail store for this one... hard to warranty internet head units
                            75 for pair of 6x9's
                            125 for a set of component speakers
                            250 for a 5 CHANNEL amp
                            125 for a sub/box combo

750 total using ballpark price ranges for decent stuff, retail price.
                            if you ebay hunt you can probably get the speakers for half that.

oh yeah! if you do go ebay, watch out for junk. they sling alotta junk on ebay.
                            Key words to looks for are 'new' and/or 'sealed box'
                            You can always take a change with used stuff too... but your gambling. My subs, amps and crossovers are all used but work great. i been lucky so far...
                            Last edited by 85crownHPP; 07-10-2006, 11:41 PM.
                            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                            sigpic
                            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I'd check out this headunit. Seems to have all the capabilities you're after.

Comment

Working...
                              X