oil leak pt.2 (lower intake manifold)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil leak pt.2 (lower intake manifold)

like gadget said in da first part, he suggested it might be my rear intake seal. i hoped it could have been da rear main seal or even the oil pan gasket, but i checked da back of da motor right underneath da air valve crossing over to da other side of da block and well its all slimy and i saw a small puddle of oil there. if fixed, i risk losing my engine according to some of you guys. if its this serious, can a respectable 'bad ass' shop do da job well??? should i just NOT fix da leak? i dont want to leave a trail of oil everywhere i go. but then again i dont want to lose my car. so wat do you guys think?

Originally posted by ltdcrwnvic
    like gadget said in da first part, he suggested it might be my rear intake seal. i hoped it could have been da rear main seal or even the oil pan gasket, but i checked da back of da motor right underneath da air valve crossing over to da other side of da block and well its all slimy and i saw a small puddle of oil there. if fixed, i risk losing my engine according to some of you guys. if its this serious, can a respectable 'bad ass' shop do da job well??? should i just NOT fix da leak? i dont want to leave a trail of oil everywhere i go. but then again i dont want to lose my car. so wat do you guys think?
    Dat der leak is not dat serious. How can fixin da leke reck your engine?

Seriously dude, an intake gasket is not a bad afternoon job. How are you thinking that you will "loose" your motor? Oil pan or worse yet rear main involve more time and effort than a simple intake gasket. Just flush with oil with your plug out to flush any garbage you drop into the motor that you can't get at. If you are careful, there is little danger of pluging your pickup. Just install a mechanical gauge before the intake job if you have concerns. If you see a sudden oil pressure drop at some point after the gasket change, you know that it is time to drop the pan and change the pickup. The other option is to do the pan gasket with the intake gasket.

Comment

alright, i was thinking i could ruin my engine because of da coolant not being properly flushed out when da intake is taken off. if da coolant makes its way down to da engine, will just drainin da oil pan and pouring some more oil to drain it fix this potential problem? if i do clog up da pickup/sender where is it located at so i can change it or pay some extra caution to it.

Comment

oh, i forgot to ask, i take off da upper intake and all da lines connected to it. what else should be removed so i can get to it? should i take off those pesky air valve lines runnin in da back of block to make it easier? any maintanance i can give da upper/lower intake while they're out? and is silicon needed to keep those gaskets/seals nice and sealed?

Comment

can we make somthng that automatically changes 'da' to 'the' like we had 'man' to 'mang' ? may make it a bit more readable

Comment

Originally posted by Pimp Hard Or Bust
            can we make somthng that automatically changes 'da' to 'the' like we had 'man' to 'mang' ? may make it a bit more readable
            No.
            Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

clean out any sludge you find, and you can clean out the intake manifold too, all the EGR passages and such. Any thing thats in the way and looks removable, go for it.
              Be sure to let the pressure off the fuel lines first - you can leave the rails and injectors in place when you remove the lower manifold.

Oh! sombody here knows the gasket set you MUST buy!!! theres one with nice big rubber gasket pieces for the front and rear (its a 4 piece gasket - buy some RTV too)that have lips on them to keep them in place.
              The cork ones are near impossible to keep still intell you glue them down, almost any movment of the intake after setting it down can slide them out of place.
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I did not use any gaskets under the manifold. I just used a thick bead (about 3/16") of RTV. Did the same on my brothers 302. No leaks, Edelbrock even recomends to not use gaskets, jsut a thick bead of RTV.
                http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

hhhmmm.... how long did you let it cure? if at all
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

We used to do about 10-15 mins before setting the intake on Jasper motors, and it would sit maybe another hour or so before test firing the motor usually. The Fel-Pro lower intake set has the rubber end seals. I used them when I did mine and they worked out nicely. The cork ones are garbage.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Pimp Hard Or Bust
                      What's da problem wit da.... Eh? Owr site is verry diverse an we wud like ta keep it dat der way. :evil:

Comment

i called a couple shops today and most of them said dat my cv doesnt have or need any gaskets in da intake. i started insisting to speak with somebody else and well i got hung up on. i think i just might end up doing it myself.

has there been any previous threads on a step by step on how to do this particular job?

Comment

They don't have gaskets on the intake? hahahaha. OK, you don't want that shop working on your car.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yup, i couldnt believe those assholes, dumb pricks lol. well ill start doing it soon. plannin on taking off da wiring harness's leadin up to da upper intake, throttle body linkage cable, coolant hoses, etc and removing da upper. then proceeding to do some cleaing around so no gunk will get into da engine. whats next after i take off da upper intake? should i do da valve cover gaskets while im in there? drain da oil from both da front plug and rear plug or which one? before or after im done?

Comment

are these da gaskets i need?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
                              or
                              http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

but for da rear gasket is it included here or is it seperate?

Comment

Working...
                              X