Oil Pressure Gauge Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Pressure Gauge Problems

My Oil pressure gauge in my 2000 vic is being wacky and it is kind of freaking me out. Like in really cold weather my car runs fine and everything but the oil pressure gauge doesn't work until it gets warm in the "cockpit". It shows that I have little to no o.p. It is freaking me out but when it starts to warm up the needle jumps around alot. There is alittle rattleing in the dash when I go over a bump or something. I'm hoping this is the gauge not the car. Does N E one have an Idea as to what is going on?
    2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

I've never messed with cars that new, and I Don't know how good their gauges are, but I would think it's a gauge or sensor issue. But still, make sure you have an acceptable ammount of oil, and make sure your pump is actually pumping oil.

Does the 2000 have a check engine light or not? IF it does, and the light is NOT on, my logic tells me that it's a gauge problem.... because if the oil pressure is actually unacceptably low, the computer would know about it, and activate the check engine light. IF you don't have a check engine light, then this might not hold true.

Comment

The reason I don't have any problems with my oil pressure gauge is because I went mechanical.....there is no electricity involved whatsoever. That way I know what's going on, no "other" shit to malfunction.
      It's a little different to hook up, and the oil line was a lot more expensive than wire is, but worth every penny to me in reliability.
      You'll have to (ironically) throw a mech. gauge on it(as a test) to make sure your ACTUAL oil pressure is OK. Then you'll know it is the gauge if the O/P checks out OK.
      Good Luck
      1993 GM LS 244K
      29.5mm PI front bar, ENS greaseable bushings, 21mm rear bar, ENS bushings, endlinks. Black steelies, center caps. Stewart-Warner mechanical oil pressure guage. K&N filter

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII 144K
      All airbags are now coils/struts. Junk tranny, motor donor car

Mercury Owners Group

If you don\'t like what I have to type, don\'t read it. It is only my opinion, nothing more.

Comment

Working...
      X