Brake fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake fluid

The brake fluid in my Merc hasnt been changed in about 6 years. What would the procedure be to drain the fluid and refill it? Open all the bleeder screws and pump it out, then re-bleed the system? Sounds about right, I'm just double checking in case there's something I don't know.
    Nick
    88 Colony Park LS
    G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
    Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

use a turkey baster or other device to suction out the master cyliner - also us that to 'squirt' fluid arond and try to free up some gunk at the bottom of the resivoir to suck it out.
    Then bleed - it will take less time that way
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

You can bleed it the lazy way after changing the fluid in the reservoir by just opening the bleeder screws till the fluid runs out clear. Keep topping up the fluid in the reservoir and it should be fine. No need to pump the pedal really.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Arite, thanks guys. I heard from someone else today that I could open all the bleeder screws, pump all the fluid out, then blow compressed air through the system in order to blow out any gunk, and then refill it.
        Nick
        88 Colony Park LS
        G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
        Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

all the shops i have worked at just keep the reservoir filled and have a pneumatic vacuum hookeed up to one bleeder at a time. they use the vacuum at each bleeder till it is clear and then move on to the next. you should go in this order to avoid air pockets.
          passenger rear
          drivers rear
          passenger front
          drivers front
          you could use a air line to blow it all out but then you have a chance of sending the clog and crap in the lines further down and it could end up anywhere. it could clog one line, and just flush out the rest. unless you open one bleeder at a time to only allow the pressure to exit the one instead of flushing them all at once.
          Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Working...
          X