X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self Leveling Suspension - Replace/Remove

Car:
    86 Town Car

When I bought it, discovered the self-leveling suspension gear had been removed. (Compressor has been physically removed). I assume it started leaking and previous owned decided to get rid of it, and replaced teh shocks with normal ones.

Consequently - the car sits a little low at the back.

I was thinking of replacing the shocks with those air-assist ones - that come with tubes and a tire-filling valve located somewhere. So I can manually raise/lower the rear end to get the car 'level'.

Is this a dumb idea? Anyone else done it?

As this car was never sold in here (Australia), can I ask you guys what shocks (brand/part number) I should order from USA and ship over here that will work.

Cheers

Rob the Aussie
    Rob the Aussie
    Photos
    Founding (and only) member of the CLIPPer Club.
    (Continuous Lincoln ImProvement Program).

Car: '86 Lincoln Town Car
    Engine: 302 Windsor

I think a lot of us with air shocks are running gabriel or monroe air shocks. Its also possible your car didn't have the auto-level. It was optional. You could also just use standard shocks and replace the rear springs, which would put the ride height back to normal and probably end up costing less. A set of springs is somewhat cheaper than a set of air shocks, and you may be able to get the springs locally since I wouldn't be too surprised to find compatible coil springs avaliable in Australia, even if the car wasn't ever sold there.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Actually Rob the manually inflated air shocks is what most cars in the junkyard have (that I've seen), thing is the stock air lines are mich bigger than the ones new shocks are designed for, so to hook new shocks up to the self-levelling system you have to get creative with the air lines. My car has the self-levelling system and it worked fine, only problem was the shocks were still the original ones and were leaking air out, so I opted to make the new shocks run off the compressor, I used some T-connector for brake lines to attach the new thin air lines to the old fat main one, but I have no clue what exactly T-ee it was. So yeah, if your self-levelling system has been crippled like that just go ahead and run the air shocks manually, or do what Gadget73 said about the springs - Ford Crown Victoria springs will fit your car, some Chevy Caprice ones will too, don't know what full-size cars you guys drive down there but look for something in that area.

Comment

TRW variable rate cargo springs:
        - INSIDE DIA.= 5.05 in.
        - BAR DIA.= 0.625 in.
        - FREE HEIGHT= 16.5 in.
        - SPRING RATE= 153 Lbs./In.
        - LOAD= 680 Lbs.
        - LOAD HEIGHT= 12 in.
        - END 1= PIG TAIL
        - END 2= PIG TAIL
        Last edited by ; 07-13-2006, 12:22 AM.

Comment

TRW constant rate springs:
          - INSIDE DIA.= 5.05 in.
          - BAR DIA.= 0.554 in.
          - FREE HEIGHT= 17.53 in.
          - SPRING RATE= 122 Lbs./In.
          - LOAD= 797 Lbs.
          - LOAD HEIGHT= 11 in.
          - END 1= PIG TAIL
          - END 2= PIG TAIL

Comment

The above data is for stock replacement springs for an '86 TownCar, springs are made by TRW and here in the US can usually be obtained through the Parts America network of auto parts stores. In your case I suggest that you go to a local parts place and look through the catalog they have for an Australian spring manufacturer, then try to match the TRW specs as close as you can. Before you order the springs post your findings here

All that is if you choose to do springs at all, of course you can do either springs, or air shocks, or both.

Comment

I think I will get a pair of these:

MONROE Part # MA815
              REAR; Exc.Limousine; For Towing and Hauling; Requires AK14 Adaptor Kit w/ Automatic Leveling System {Max Air Shock Absorbers / Packed in pairs / Includes air line, air fittings, and air fill kit where applicable.}

Says is comes with air lines etc. I will then have to rig up a tire valve onto those lines and mount in the trunk (?) I guess.

Do I hear any: "No - don't by them!" comments.

Cheers

Rob the Aussie
              Rob the Aussie
              Photos

Comment

Rob, the kit will come with two shocks, two looong air lines, and a T-ee connector with the tire valve already on it - all you need to do is install the shocks, run the lines the way you want them, and install the T-ee at a convenient for you location. Most cars I've seen have the T-ee under the rear bumper (not sure if I'd place it there though), but if you put it in the trunk you might not be able to reach it when you load up the car nicely.

Comment

Update:
                  - Ordered Monroe MA815 (pair of shocks + air line + tee + valve)
                  - Ordered Tue. Arrived the following Monday. So what you say? I am literally 1/2 way around the world in Australia. I was impressed they came so fast from USA. (MA815 not available here).
                  - Installed Tee/Valve just above the licence plate in rear bumper. Nice and protected. Easy to get at.
                  - Pumped up with bicycle tire pump. Does not take much!

Looks SOOOOOO much better with the car level now!

All part of my CLIP (Continuous Lincoln Improvement Plan)

Rob The Aussie
                  Rob the Aussie
                  Photos

Comment

Howdy Rob, glad to hear all is well! Keep up the good work

Comment

Working...
                    X