Chip/Tuner??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chip/Tuner??

Ok, I've been wondering this for a while, and BMF'er wants some action so here it goes. I have the reinhart chip and MM airbox in my towny. Its fine and dandy but if I was to use a hand held tuner would I have to remove the chip? Would the chip alone just be better? Or would the combination of the chip and tuner work together? Just curious if I can squeeze any more power out of her when the new engine goes in. Thanks fellas.
    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

a good custom tune stored in a handheld tuner like the SCT Xcalibrator is the same as a chip. the only advantage one has over the other is that the one in a tuner doesn't require you to get to the pcm or do any soldering. just plug into diagnostic port and reflash the pcm.
    2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2336322

Friends don't let friends drive donk.

Comment

What he said.
      :worship: Aeros r00l.

Comment

Thanks fellas. I kinda figured that but was unsure. I think dennis was able to program more shit than I would be able to do with just a tuner.
        Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

You get 2 tunes for your tuner that you can just flash your pcm with. My tune is identical to someone with a chip and I am able to flash between Premium fuel, Regular fuel, and stock programs with my xcal2. That was the main selling point for me with gas prices changing all the time. They do come pre-programed if you get them throught BOC or Dennis. I can go in a change my shift points and shift firmness. If I had a laptop I could do more as you can only do so much downloading from your desktop to the tuner. Now if I had my computer hooked to the tuner and the car at the same time I could shut off o2's and all that stuff.
          2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

you can ask your tuner to shut off your o2's.
            2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2336322

Friends don't let friends drive donk.

Comment

UH yep. You do not need that, you can buy eliminators to make them go away also.

Comment

Working...
              X