Rear disc swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear disc swap

What is required for this? The whole axle can be swapped in, right? What all needs to be changed to make this work?

You'll need new brake lines, and you also gotta figure out how to hook up the E-brake cables. Swapping the whole axle is possible, and maybe that's exactly what I'll do when time comes.

Comment

nah too much trouble to swap the whole rear......they r heavy.......it's mainly a bolt in process, just need to make a simple bracket for the right brake hose, cut and flare 2 brake lines, and cut the e brake cable and use a help brake cable repair kit to hook up the e-brake.......a few bolts, couple wireties, brake fluid, gear oil........look in my thread on mrltd's wagon
      scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Okay, more questions. I know most of the braking power is the front wheels, is there any way to transfer that so the rear wheels provide more braking power? I plan to run skinnies up front and don't want 'em locking up on me if I drive it on the street. Also, do the discs have any effect on what size or width rims you can run? I'm probably going to run 15x10's or so, and want to make sure they'll still fit properly.

Comment

When you install the discs your bias will automatically transfer more towards the rear wheels, however the rears are way too easy to lock up even with the stock drums, so imagine what the more powerful discs will do if you jump on the brakes in an emergency situation. If you really want to mess with it you can purchase a regulator valve from Summit or some other place, you install it in-line between the master cylinder and the front brakes, and you can reduce the pressure the fronts will get thus moving the bias towards the rear end.

Comment

I have teh rear disc swap and i had skinnies. It will stop pretty hard, but they are easy to lock up. Id suggest getting another set of tires for the streets. Skinnies are inheariently weak. espiscally with a somewhat heavy car, a pot hole or even a good size bump will destroy a lightweight drag wheel. Ive heard of guys in convertible Mustange (abotu 3600#s break wheels turning hard. Stay away from Bogarts for street use. they are a great drag wheel, but are way too weak for street use.
            http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
            http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

The rear disc swap doesn't effect minumum tire size like the front brakes do.
              You can put an adjustable proportioning valve on it to bias it more to the rear wheels, but there is only so much the rears can do. Gotta remember that when you brake the wieght comes off the rear wheels.

Like duece said, I wouldn't run the skinnies on the street. Our cars are too heavy and it will be too dangerous.
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania
                nah too much trouble to swap the whole rear......they r heavy.......it's mainly a bolt in process, just need to make a simple bracket for the right brake hose, cut and flare 2 brake lines, and cut the e brake cable and use a help brake cable repair kit to hook up the e-brake.......a few bolts, couple wireties, brake fluid, gear oil........look in my thread on mrltd's wagon
                scott
                Scott, how much do you think a shop would charge to install rear disc brakes? What year panther parts should I use? I want new wheels and tires and ugly cast iron drums will look stupid behind a nice set of wheels.

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
                5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by N A
                  Scott, how much do you think a shop would charge to install rear disc brakes? What year panther parts should I use? I want new wheels and tires and ugly cast iron drums will look stupid behind a nice set of wheels.
                  I'll wager that most shops won't touch it. Too much on the line for them, and you have to have a clue of what you are doing.

Pretty much everything from 96-02 are all the same in the rear brake department.
                  Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

A rear end shop or decent speed shop should be able to do the work. Does anyone have a list of the parts required? (Obviously, new rotors and calipers).

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                    Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
                    5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

The backing plates, rotors, e-brake shoes, caliper, hoses, e-brake cables.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Do you have to remove the rear axles from the donor car to get at the disc brake parts?
                        Vehicle: 1965 Pontiac Catalina (fastback 2+2)
                        Chasis: 1982 Ford LTD Country Squire
                        Drivetrain: 302 V8 carb, AOD, 8.8 with 3.08 gears.
                        Big Brake swap and front suspension completed.
                        sigpic

Comment

Yes.

Comment

The axles go through the caliper mounting (backing) plate hence why axles would need to be removed to get the plates.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I wanted to originaly get the whole rear end. However, based on the stickies and lincolnmania's link, I think I want to put discs on the rear end I have. SO, How do I remove my rear axles so I can get to my drum system and intal the disc system? Do I need a slide hammer or anything like that? seals etc...??
                              Vehicle: 1965 Pontiac Catalina (fastback 2+2)
                              Chasis: 1982 Ford LTD Country Squire
                              Drivetrain: 302 V8 carb, AOD, 8.8 with 3.08 gears.
                              Big Brake swap and front suspension completed.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X