Changing Heater Core

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Heater Core

The kid accross the street from me has a Grand Marquee. His heater core went out. Now that it's freezing here in Columbus Ohio he wants to have it fixed. Local shops want more than $400. So I told him we could probably do it as I did one earlier on my 1990 Mustang GT.

Bought a Haynes book. Looks like the heater core is in the dash similar to my Mustang.

Does anyone that has done this them selves have any hints or ideas to make this easier for me? Like hidden screws that I might not see, etc....

I believe the year of his car is 1984.

Thanks,
    Hutch
    hutchison_mark@hotmail.com

This post may be dissapointing, because I don't personally have the answers for you. But, there a more than a few people here that have done heater core swaps, they just ain't online right now. Beleive me, this evening you will have more than a few posts in here on what to do.

But, buying a Haynes manual is a good first step.

Good luck man.
    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Welcome, hutch!

I made a stocky bout changing a heater core, and another couple postsabout it was wwell...theres a biit of info here and there...

But I havent done it myself..wish i could help out more...
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

i ve done a heatercore in my 81' marquis and its not hard jus time consuming. first off u got to take the glove box off, that way you have some access around stuff. the next thing i did was take the main dash support from the bottom out abit by taking the one bolt out on the passengerside. next thing i did was disconnect the hoses and took out all the nuts and bolts and drop the box wit the core and take out the core bolts and it came out. it was a bit of a bitch to wiggle the thing out but, its possible, lol. hope this is some help. if u need more info, jus ask!

good luck!

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

From the looks of things it's very similar to the work you have to do in a fox chassis car (e.g. your mustang). I've done 4 fox cars and I'd have no hesitations about attempting a Grand Marquis. (Though I thank god the heater in mine is ok.)

Comment

Thanks for the tips/replys.....

I'm actually hoping it's easier than my Mustang. But if they are both built on the fox body chassis it probably all pretty much the same.

Thanks again...

Hutch

Comment

$400?!

Local radiator shop around here did mine about two years ago for $130.

---------------------
              Justin

Comment

ZUH!?!??

Did everyone forget about this thread? :

http://grandmarq.net/forum/viewtopic...80bc46106ed4fb

Read that, Hutch, there are some good tips in there. THe main thing that makes it difficult, from what I remember, is pulling the whole dash panel back. If you have two people, it's easier... We've changed mine a few times (dad and I), and one of us usually pulls back on the dash, while the other pulls back on the heater core enough to let the pipes clear the holes, and then roll the plenum 180° forward (clockwise, if you're looking in at it from the passenger side of the vehicle).

It's also a good idea to make sure there is little or no coolant left in the heater core BEFORE removing it, otherwise you're likeley to have a mess on your interior. I suggest removeing hoses (then clamp them off, or plug them, or hold them up high so nothing else comes out), and then using an air compressor to blow the coolant out of the heater core. BUt don't have it at really high pressure, or you'll probably make another mess. ANd since you're changing the heater core, I"m going to assume that there is a LEAK in it, so it couldn't hurt to have a bowl, or newspaper, or something on your interior to put under the plenum, in case some coolant drips out upon removal, or upon blowing air into the heater core.

Whew.

Comment

Woah! I forgot completely about that. And its right there in front of my face! Good job man.
                  Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                  Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Any time, Mr. Trump!

I just remember replying about 3 or 4 times in that thread, that's the only reason I remembered about it.

Comment

It does not show up for me.

Comment

That's right! Heater core removal time!!!

Comment

It's a friggin 2 year old post MAN!
                          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

So what? It should still be there. I need the easiest way to remove that heater core!

Comment

nothing wrong with bumping an old thread for a good reason!!!

did you find the thread?
                              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                              sigpic
                              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
                              X