Any one know of a head unit that can control any MP3 player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any one know of a head unit that can control any MP3 player

See I have many mp3 players and I dont want to have to fumble around in my songs or playlist while driving I rather that I can control the head unit with a remote and go threw my songs on my mp3 player with it. So does anyone know one that is capable of that.
    sigpic
    1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

I don't think that is possible. There are ones with USB interfaces, aux inputs (mini jack), and ipod adapters..But I doubt anyone would spend that much time to produce something that can control any player, because of the various firmware and connections.

I bought a pioneer HU that has an aux in and that can control my ipod and will display the info on the HU. That was 200 bucks on sale for the HU and adapter.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

yea, unless your mp3 players have some kind of usb or other remote control feature its not even possible.
      If they do, your product information for them should tell you want car stereos are compaitible
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

If you really wanna carry a lot of music that can be controlled by remote, JVC makes a deck that'll play DVDs that have been loaded with MP3 files. On a regular 800mb CD-R I can fit about 150 MP3's. A DVD-R is 4.7g.

Comment

Any reciever with the auxilary/disc changer option. Then you buy the RCA wire that turns into one wire that goes in to any mp3 players headphone jack.

That or just wire in a FM modulator. It's a cheaper route.

Comment

Here is the option that no one knows about. A car MP3 player. They are usually based off of a 3.5" IDE HD, and are mounted in the trunk with a wired remote/display that can be installed in the dash parallel to the head unit. Now finding these misterious legends is hard. I found one and it had good reviews but I could not find anywhere to buy it. I need one based off the 3.5" HD because of the size I need. I could install my 200gb into the car and be free of all limitations.

http://www.ssiamerica.com/products/neo35/

Comment

or you could build a carputer...

Comment

Yeah, that is a common solution, but interface is the hard part of that.

You can't use a mouse. It would be totaly destracting. And working up anything unique would require some exxtensive knowledge in programming and linux.

Comment

It's called a track ball or a finger pad... :p

Track ball mounted on the steering wheel or finger pad where your right hand rests. Id have it mounted at a 90* angle so I wouldn't even have to move my arm or hand even.

The only hard part would be the installing it to make it look good, but easier for a guy like me to do that than programing something to work like a ps2 toggle switch; if that's even difficult. Actually that seems to be the easiest, but not erginomical unless you can push it in for double clicks and the have another button for the settings/options click.

I don't know...

Comment

Got my DEH4800P installed today with Ipod interface....It's friggin nice. All the controls and display are on the headunit...

Comment

Damnit, I was hoppin no one would dring that up.....yes there is NEO Ipod thingy that can interface an Ipod through the cd changer input on the back of a stereo. I hate Ipods and I will never support them.

Comment

line/aux inputs are common...not many actual interfaces though. Mine a a pioneer interface that uses the IP bus...

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic
                          Damnit, I was hoppin no one would dring that up.....yes there is NEO Ipod thingy that can interface an Ipod through the cd changer input on the back of a stereo. I hate Ipods and I will never support them.
                          Agreed, it's for tools that get sucked into marketing & don't research themselves. My friends own them and they wished they had mine. It's battery lasts longer, holds more, & is cheaper. Still has the same price as 2 years ago. It just does'nt look as "cool". OMG it has corners! I'm not saying I'm smarter than them, but when it comes to looking for the best all around product...not a girl about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackup460
                            when it comes to looking for the best all around product...not a girl about it.
                            :lol:

I love that! Mine too, holds more, cheaper, and sound quality is still better than the newest Ipod Video that is out. And my Creative Zen Extra is over 3 years old.

Comment

wow....that's impressive...had to be pretty expensive to have a 60 gig drive 3 years ago. I have an 3 year old philips, and that thing was over 400 and only is a 10 gig....

Comment

Working...
                              X