Front brakes locking up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front brakes locking up?

Have been "experimenting" (where safe) w/ braking char., under heavy load front brakes will lock up. Is this normal for police pkg., or anyone elses car? Anything I can do to change it? Car skids nice and straight and makes lots of smoke and if its just par for the course its not like I dont know how to pump the brakes. Frickin hot here. Muchas grabbyass and bonus knockers (nachos?).

1991 Crown Victoria LTD, Puff the Magik Dragon

that because stock brakes blow...I totalled a car because of the pathetic brakes....all they did was lock up...couldn't get them to pulse and stop the car.

Tires and the rest of the front suspension have a big effect on the effectiveness of the front brakes also
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

If your brakes are locking your tires up, they are good enough to stop the car. Maybe not twice lol, but at least once. The absolute biggest impact of braking where brakes are not faulty, is TIRES! Get good tires. They are all supposed to lock up at once. This is usually not the case. Which is better, hard to say, front loses steering, but rear gets very wondery.... so it boils down to preference I guess.

Upgrading the brakes is not a bad idea though. These are big cars, and a huge part of performance is stopping. Many people fail to notice this. The reason most Porsches are so fast is because of the 1000hp+ in braking that they have.

Comment

stock brakes are crap........i gotta be careful driving other peoples boxes because i always forget how well my towny stops
        locking up your brakes is dangerous, esp when it's the fronts.........if youre gonna push the box to the point of locking the brakes,i highly suggest a big brake conversion and rear discs............they saved my father and my son and my towny last summer when my dad and my son were driving the car.......tractor trailer pulled out in front of them......there was nowhere to go but ahead......my dad was amazed that the towny stopped in enough time to avoid the truck and that the brakes did not lock up
        scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Springs and shocks also have a lot to do with it. They control how much wieght gets transferred to the tires and pavement....

Comment

Tires are Generals, they look like decent tires and theyre in good cond. Stock (police pkg) front brakes are these huge discs and the rotors and pads are in really good shape. Suspension also seems to be in good order (stiff). Im wondering could this have something to do w/ the fact that this was a highway cop car, cause Ive had to do some accident avoidance on the highway and the brakes work ultra good at 70-80mph? In this case I was just foolin around w/ doin more or less 35mph and hammerin on the brakes as I came to a red light, nothing extreme.
            Last edited by 91 LTD; 07-17-2006, 01:11 AM.

Comment

those stock 91 rotors are tiny mang

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

They look big to me, but I will defer to the experts (you all) and not put too much faith in them till an upgrade. Would some new brake pads help? Also just out of curiosity is it possible to add abs? Would it even be worth the hassle? What would be the ghetto way (cheapest) to upgrade the brakes, junkyard and later model interceptor (of which I assume there are tons, cause this is LA) or mustang?
                Last edited by 91 LTD; 07-17-2006, 01:34 AM.

Comment

if you hammer on any non abs brakes they will lock up!
                  You should practice braking at the point just before they lock up. if they do lock up, then let off and re-apply. Then you can get an idea of your braking distance.
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I see where your coming from but no worries dude I know how to pump brakes (had access to an empty ski area parking lot in the winter as a teen to learn how to skid and slide, at night under the lights, snowing, car full of stoned teens (wearing seatbelts) going sideways, worst thing you could hit was a snowbank, good times). I guess my real question was if the situation I described was "par for the course" for my set up, sounds like it is. Gonna do the fr bearings soon and throw in some new pads, any suggestions?

Comment

I'm with pete here. Try to practice threshold braking. With non-abs brakes threshold braking is way better than pumping brakes.

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP*
                        if you hammer on any non abs brakes they will lock up!
                        You should practice braking at the point just before they lock up. if they do lock up, then let off and re-apply. Then you can get an idea of your braking distance.

Not true...If the brakes,suspesnion, and tires all work together,they won't. Or I guess the opposite too, if the brakes aren't right...

But , what I was getting at was the 4 wheel disc on my mustang...you could hit it in the rain and it wouldn't lock up...it'd throw you through the windshield. My old vic was like that too, really tough to lock up the brakes. All the other panthers I had would lock up before stopping, without really hitting the brakes hard. And if it was wet, it was like driving on ice. Tap the brakes and instant slide.

Pad recomendations. I had reybestos silvers on my PI braked car. Worked pretty well.

And yeah the brakes on theses cars are small in comparison...11" rotors. Thunderbirds, Lincoln Mar 7's, and Mustangs, all had 11 brakes....and are much lighter cars....Newer stangs have 12-13" brakes, the vics and marqs have 12"

Comment

I have had trouble with lock up before there seems to be a ballance point between adjustment of the rears vs the fronts. The rears adjusted up too much seems to cause the fronts to lock up quicker. Also I swear every time I hit the brakes on these cars the pedle gets a little more play. Finaily one day you realize there is to much play in the pedal nad the rears need adjusted up. Also there cars were designed for old people and eveythig is low effort. I have been thinking about ditching the power steering. It turns to easy little road feel and dosent return back very well on its own. Of course I drove a 455 Buick powered 64 Ford truck with kingpins so bad the I beam was wore through at the pins for years.
                          Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Don't ditch the power steering...upgrade it! I've got an 02 PI box in my wagon now and it's incredible. Nice heavy feel, better ratio, less assist.

Comment

My brakes are stock and dont lock up. Car used to pitch you threw the windshield when I had little tires on the front. Its hard to lock up them mickey t's.
                              1989 Grand Marquis LS
                              flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Working...
                              X