Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have a picture/drawing of a Panther frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone have a picture/drawing of a Panther frame?

I have a pretty good idea of how the frame is put together, but I am looking for some pictures, drawings, diagrams, etc of a bare, or semi bare frame for reference.

Thanks,
    Bryan
    Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
    AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
    Open/Lock/Ratio #
    -----------------------
    G / H / 2.26
    B / C / 2.47
    8 / M / 2.73
    7 / - / 3.07
    Y / Z / 3.08
    4 / D / 3.42
    F / R / 3.45
    5 / E / 3.27
    6 / W / 3.73
    2 / K / 3.55
    A / - / 3.63
    J / - / 3.85

I don't have any of a bare frame. I've got these from my old 86 GM. The end of the frame rails on the back are missing a few inches where the bumper mounts(I cut them off ). I used this chassis foe a truck I was building.

Last edited by Fordman75; 07-16-2006, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Wow, great pics!

Damn, it is me, or are our frames flimsy? I need to brace mine some more, and install a cage!
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

They are pretty strong. About the only thing I'd add would be a crossmember or two with a driveshft safety loop.

Comment

I'd prob do about that. Eventually i'll do a frame-off...
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I am sure they are more flimsy without the body. Body adds tons of strength. Even when mine is super flexed out the doors and shit still open and close fine.
            1989 Grand Marquis LS
            flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT
              Wow, great pics!

Damn, it is me, or are our frames flimsy? I need to brace mine some more, and install a cage!
              Our frames are fully boxed. Almost every other frame except for full size trucks are no more than "C" channels. We have a full size chevy van, does not even have a true frame. it is a unibody with some stamped rails under the body.
              http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
              http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

A few crossbraces to stiffen it up would do wonders, but as has been mentioned, these frames are pretty darn strong, especially compared to many other platforms.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'd do an X across the center section with a drive shaft loop.

Comment

Ever seen old 50s gm cars, a real x frame. Looked kinda shitty to me but who knows.
                    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic
                      I'd do an X across the center section with a drive shaft loop.
                      My thoughts exactly.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have a frame in my back yard its or was perty stiff. Best to add a roll cage to it for strength. Anything added within the frame would add more weight than structure.
                        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Thanks for the pics!

It wouldn't be very hard to make a vic extremely rigid. would it.

I have been having the occasional thought about making the hillbilly suv a 4x4. (I know, I know, I wasn't going to do it, but I can daydream right?)

One of the big drawbacks I have tought of, would be the need to modify the frame up front.
                          However, I do have a frame under the old mgm hearse. The body is pretty well spent, on it, but most of the frame is usable. Here is the idea.

I am hoping that the frames are somewhat stackable. If I could cut the front and rear clips, (or heck the whole frame) and modify it for 4x4 while it is off the car, I could just remove the suspension from old herkimer, and set it down on the modified frame. (yes, I realize it would be WAY too heavy for serious off roading) Welding it together would be relatively simple at that point. This would lift the body, and make hooking up the steering/ brakes, etc very easy.

Any constructive comments?
                          Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
                          AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
                          Open/Lock/Ratio #
                          -----------------------
                          G / H / 2.26
                          B / C / 2.47
                          8 / M / 2.73
                          7 / - / 3.07
                          Y / Z / 3.08
                          4 / D / 3.42
                          F / R / 3.45
                          5 / E / 3.27
                          6 / W / 3.73
                          2 / K / 3.55
                          A / - / 3.63
                          J / - / 3.85

Comment

I don't think stacking frames makes a whole lot of sense. You'd be better off modifying a frame and then just swap the body on. Pulling the body would be easier then trying to stack frames.

If you want a 4x4 I'd grab a late 70's Ford F150 4x4 or Bronco. Then graft the whole front suspension/steering from the truck to Your car frame. If you get lucky the coil perches might be close to the same width. Then You'd have to fabricate some radius arm mounts(A fabricated crossmember would be the easiest ). Mount the steering box, track bar and fab the upper shock mounts.

It would probably be simpler to just use the F150 frame and Mount the wagon body to it.
                            Last edited by Fordman75; 07-18-2006, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Took a rused out International Travelall ( a streched Scout ). 4 wheel drive a 348 or 346 V8 auto and mounted a 73 Ranchero on it. cut the front and rear of the Ford frame welded the Internationall to it bolted somw 38 super swampers to it. Worked out great reall low center of gravity. A real head turner.
                              Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Working...
                              X