87 GM Speaker problem??? :( :( :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

87 GM Speaker problem??? :( :( :(

My husband and I got an 87 GM LS a couple of days ago, and the original owner's granddaughter had an aftermarket stereo system in it. When her gpa told her he was giving us his car, she took it out, and put the stock speakers and tape deck in it. No problem, we bought a new CD player for it and were going to live with that for another few weeks before we went out of town to get some decent speakers.

We hooked the CD player up - I've done it a dozen times in other people's cars - and we had no sound. (There was no sound with the tape deck, but she also hadn't reattached the speakers to the tape deck, so....) We broke down and bought new speakers here in town (with little selection, believe me!), hooked them up, and... STILL NOTHING. Needless to say, I'm heartbroken that I can't make this work, and my husband is hardly electronically inclined, so he's no help. What could be causing this? More importantly, *what can I do to make them work???* The CD player has power, shows it's playing the disc... but no sound. Help, please!

You have a premium soud system possibly. The will be an amp in the trunk next to the left side trunk hinge attached to the rear of the seat. If so most aftermarket stuff if any will work with it. You would need to run new wires and by pass the amp. Were are you located? A felllow member might help.
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I'd seriously run all new wires..

Welcome!
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

if it is one thing i dont like is the amp in the trunk for premium sound, and the common ground. i ran all new speaker wires to my speakers, plus a couple extras. i suggest the same. new wires to replace stock wiring is a definate in an older car that has too small of wiring for the power being sent thru it. definately put new speaker wire in it
        Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT
          I'd seriously run all new wires..

Welcome!
          x2

Comment

yep - most likely during the swapping around something got un-done or changed for aftermarkey to factory and back.
            Also could be you just dont have the right harness adaptor or its not hooked up. There should be at least 2 different harnesses hooked into it, one with 3 or 4 wires, one with 5 or 6
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I had the same exact thing in my 86. Lights were on, nobody home. Ran new wires because my amp had fried.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
              X