no brakes!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no brakes!!

well i was going to go out, cop followed me for a few blocks and pulled me over, was like, i pulled you over cause your brake lights are out, not the center one but the two outside ones... got home, checked the bulbs, all good, cant seem to find the fuses listed in the owners manuel and i cant find my FUCKIN VOLTMETER!

all fuses good, the parking lights (same bulbs) work. brake interlock works.....

my brakes pads are getting kinda worn in the front, rotors and rears are fine could this have anything to do with it
    Last edited by DanHool; 07-19-2006, 08:54 PM.

Comment

So the third brake light works and the two outers do not? Does it change any if you fool with the turn signal switch or the hazard switch? Might be a bad multifunction switch. I've seen GM cars do just this with a bad MF switch.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
        So the third brake light works and the two outers do not? .
        correct, high center works, outboards are dead, though the same bulbs light up for parking lights.

no they still dont work even when i dick with the hazard or turn signal

oonly thing i was thinking, was my uhaul wiring. my uhaul trailer wiring has worked for years, well ive used it 3 times, last time around christmas. brake lights worked fine up till at least a few days ago.

someone wanna repost this on CVN? i cant. need to get this fixed its my only car and ive got a car thats kinda worth shit to me right now. its a p73 2001 vic

Comment

Wiggle the hazard switch around, they will probably start working. If so, your MFS is bad.
          :worship: Aeros r00l.

Comment

im no good with abbreviations. is "mfs" anything like a lighting control module or a brake on off switch?

Comment

Multifunction Switch- Turn signal/emergency flasher (button on top of column)/wiper/dimmer/flash-to-pass switch.

Hell, just turn the flashers off & on a time or two & the brake lights will likely start working again for a while.

Comment

hazard switch aye............

okay i will go out and try that right now.........

Comment

nope, still wont work, though they light up dim for the parking- running lights, just no brake lights on their own.

any chance this has anything to do with my air bag light, i know why that thing is on...

Comment

You need to get hold of a test light

Comment

...And I just realixed you don't have a p71, therefore your turn signals/hazards are on a totally different circuit from the brake lights.

Ignore all the above.

Comment

All my service manual info still points toward the MFS or a wiring short. And you're sure all bulbs are good? I would check in the trunk first, around your uhaul installed trailer wiring, and maybe even remove it temporarily, but also anywhere anything else has been installed or removed recently that a wire could have been cut, especially in the door jambs on the driver's side.

Comment

sorry about that bmfer dude, my internet connection took a shit after i went out to the car

1. nothing done to the car at all lately.

3. turn signals for the uhaul are working but no power to the brakes. that wiring is such a small guage i didnt wanna go poking at it too much but i wasent getting any voltage for the brakes still. well im gonna go lookj some more. wonder if uhaul would look at it.....

but you were saying that there is only one wire going to the brakes? so if my center brake light is lighing up, then it would have to be between there and the tailights?
                          Last edited by DanHool; 07-20-2006, 02:56 AM.

Comment

shit, well im gonna see if uhaul will have a look and see if their trailer harness is the issue. and if not, guess the lincoln/ merc dealer. shit! i just feel like if i dig into this thing im just going to fuck it up even mroe

Comment

went to uhaul, looked over everything with the guy and all was good with the trailer harness

went to ford dealer, put in all new light bulbs, same shit

BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH MAYBE? i dunno, im going to be out of town from tonight till the end of the month

went to lincoln mercury dealer, gave them the keys to the vic, wont be able to look at it till tuesday but they gave me this caddilac to drive. caddilac clitara, something or another. nice little dealydoo, kinda like a normal compact-midsize car except right wheel drive.
                              Last edited by DanHool; 07-20-2006, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X