Shimmy on takeoff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shimmy on takeoff?

I noticed today when I takeoff from a stop the front of the car shimmys a little bit. It goes away between 25-35mph. My first thought was mismatched air pressure in my tires. My drivers side was at 26psi and the passenger side was at 29psi. I bumped the both of them to 35psi. That did not fix the issue. Everything is nice and tight underneath, and I also double checked the torque on my lugnuts.
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

Hmm, check for tread seperation. I'd also look for loose components in the steering.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Do you have new tires or old tires in the front?
      Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
      2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:
      Father's 1994 Ford Crown Victoria - Stock, 45,000 miles.
      Sold in 2007 - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Grandpa Special" 2 door.
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2128327

Comment

Old tires. The tread on these is still good, so I had no intention of replacing them until I upgrade my wheels. I may have to though.

Comment

They very well might have a broken belt. Had one on my old blue car...if that tread comes apart, it's not a fun ride. Mine came apart at 70mph going through WV mountains.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Jack the car up and spin the tires, make sure they have no lumps or flat spots. I had a rear tire do that, and the whole car would wobble at low speeds. I imagine it would do wierder stuff on the front.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
              They very well might have a broken belt. Had one on my old blue car...if that tread comes apart, it's not a fun ride. Mine came apart at 70mph going through WV mountains.
              Yes that is what I was thinking. My dads old 2000 GM and it was shimmy all over the place.
              2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

Could you have lost a wheel weight?

Comment

wheel imbalance doesnt show at low speeds silly
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I agree on you having a bad tire. Keep us posted.
                    '03 300b MM (My pride and joy until 8/9/13 @129k)

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP*
                      wheel imbalance doesnt show at low speeds silly
                      No need to confuse the situation with facts. Jeez, some people. I swear.

:evil:

Just one more reason to never listen to anything I have to say.

Comment

I vote belt also.
                        Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

I'm not sure whether it's the belt or a tossed wheel weight. I swapped out the front tires for a set I had in my stockpile out back until I can get my spare 15" tires mounted. The shimmy is gone for the moment. I'm hoping to get some new wheels before I get the tires cleaned and mounted though.

Comment

Working...
                          X