Interior swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interior swap

I'm going to be switching the interior to blue in the next few weeks, just need to find a few more things: mainly good leather TC seats. I cant decide what i want to do about the dash though (not the dash pad). It seems possible to remove and switch the entire thing, but just a total PITA and a ton of work. Has anyone completely removed their dash before? Any suggestions, tips, things to remember, etc. The other option i have heard of is dying the dash. What does this involve, and does it work good. I dont want to have a real noticable color difference. The other idea i was thinking of was to cut the 3 pieces of the dash that actually show (the center around the ashtray area, and on the left and right below the dashpad) and somehow attatch them to the frame for the old dash. Any chance that could somehow work? Any help is appreciated, and i will be sure to get lots of pics.

One more thing, what # torx bit do you need to get out the seats?

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
    1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
    1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

T50 - and you are right, the dash is a PITA the completely remove
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

yeah, if you don't like to break shit I'd dye the stuff. Hell, I swear there's more wiring in my vic than towncar.
      Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

tell me about it there is so much wiring underthere it ridcules one time my headlight switch went out to put a new one it is pita the hardest thing is puttig you hand up in there

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
        302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
        k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Well today i went to the u pull it yard and got the blue carpet, headliner, rear deck thing, molding, and seatbelts out of an '83 GM. I didn't find any good TC seats yet and it was way to hot to even consider trying to get the dash out. I managed to get everything out without breaking anything, just dented one piece a little. It seems like with everything out of the car the entire dash removal shouldnt be impossible, but i guess i'l see later. Now i just need visors, LS door panels, and a blue leather steering wheel w/ cruise that isnt all worn off in the 11-1 o'clock position on top.... that might take some time. $67 so far, plus $5 for a TORX bit.

The carpet cleaned up nicely after some powerwashing, all thats left now is some rusty looking stains where the seat bolts go:

Headliner is a little faded, but not even noticable when its in the car.(the white specks are just some insulation that needs brushed off) Plastic/metal trim all in good shape:

The paint on the '83 looks so good underneath the trim and carpet.. just like new. That is the color i am going to paint mine eventually

The hardest thing to do was to get the headliner in the car to take home. of course there is only one place to fit it in the car to transport and i had to use some ghetto rigging to keep it up for the half hour drive home... 12 pack of pop, green tea jug, a cd wallet, and my head
          Last edited by FatNasty; 11-06-2009, 08:26 AM.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
          1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)

Comment

I'm sure the headliner was a trip on the way home! Hope things work out for you, man... I've considered swapping my wagon to a tan interior, but haven't made up my mind.
            2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
            1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
            1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Your present interior is interesting...never seen one like that...

Usually, the merks have pillowy seats...
              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT
                Your present interior is interesting...never seen one like that...

Usually, the merks have pillowy seats...
                I haven't either. the seats are usually the pillowy ones in plain cloth or leather. Mine are cloth but have a two tone pattern that is sort of checkered too. Will the seats, both front and back, work in my car?

Comment

Sure will!
                  1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                  Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I did the interier in the 89 cop car in blue but some ass hole put a damn die hard in the back set up side down and it got hot and sprayed acid all over it so right now the car is gutted we are going to put front seats from a 93 ford probe gt in it
                    YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

oh I have seen that red funny lookin seats in a old ltd waggy we used to have
                      YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Oops, i meant to ask if the front and back seats from a Mark 6 would fit in my car.

Comment

Tore aa 86 GM down to a bare frame perty much piece by piece.
                          Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Yes, Lincoln seats from a VI will fit. The back seat is slightly wider so getting the back part in is a bit of a pain but it will go.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

o.k. now i'm jelous! i've altready got the blue interior and my headlinner is falling down and my dash pad is cracked something awful,and i can't find any cars that have the blue interior muchless one in that good of shape!!!!! :evil:
                              sigpic"I love it when a plan comes together." Hanibal Smith (A-Team)

Comment

Working...
                              X