to lift or no???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to lift or no???

well, im thinking of getting these:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979-...4478QQtcZphoto and combining them with the 31x10.50 r15's hangin around from my old s10 blazer, and making the jacked tc, mabye find a new posi rear, then id keep the car a little longer i guess, add a brushguard, mabye a roof rail mounted lightbar???and no, i wont paint 01 on the door and get a dixie horn, although the horn is cool, only downside is my gas milage already sucks, and bigger tires will most def make it worse, like i get 10-12 mpg right now ick...
    jay--1983 towncar, 302v8 cfi, dual straight pipes w/resonators ,edelbrock motor goodies, custom interior, full custom stereo system, full rebuilt trunk audio setup, custom paint...more to come......

Um, no. Those look very poorly designed. And will not work well. Since they also apear to be cast shit, they also stand a high chance of breaking because I know they won't sit level in the lower controle arm.

Comment

Very very bad idea...

Just get some taller, heavier springs. Like those caddy ones Epi had on his years ago
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

those are the same things used on the hillbilly wagon mang, and he hasnt had problems yet
        jay--1983 towncar, 302v8 cfi, dual straight pipes w/resonators ,edelbrock motor goodies, custom interior, full custom stereo system, full rebuilt trunk audio setup, custom paint...more to come......

Comment

Weren't you selling the car? Anyway, no. Not on a Town Car...
          '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
          '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

yeah, still trying the whole selling thing

Comment

Taller springs if you're gonna. They're probably the poly spring spacers they sell at Advance for people with saggy springs. We cut a set up to use as spring insulators on something, I forget what, but they look kinda cheesy to use to lift the suspension. There is also the issue of maxing out the suspension travel. Making the springs too tall will max out the suspension and make it drive and handle all stupid.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ok then my suspension is all maxed out and my car drives just fine. Good samaraitan used those on his car with no problems. I couldnt get em to fit with mine. They are aluminum. 31's will rub on the front. I have to adjust the bottom on my fender with a hammer and the tires are shredding my plastic inner fenders. If you want the part number for the front springs I used Ill find it for you. They were only like 100 bux and I have stock wagon springs in the back.
                1989 Grand Marquis LS
                flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Maybe it's me, but I forsee a slight problem trying to sell a lifted Lincoln with a hood scoop, furry dash, loud exhaust, and truck tires to most people.

Like I said, maybe it's me.

Comment

Originally posted by 83tc
                    those are the same things used on the hillbilly wagon mang, and he hasnt had problems yet
                    Well, then why did you ask?

Sounds like more of an off topic line of questioning than a suspension tech Q.

Comment

Originally posted by JumboFriendly
                      Maybe it's me, but I forsee a slight problem trying to sell a lifted Lincoln with a hood scoop, furry dash, loud exhaust, and truck tires to most people.

drive to the ghetto hood and someone will buy it, slap on some donks, and shoot their homies from it

Comment

LOL....sad but true

Comment

I put a set of CC #819 wagon springs on my 87 LX and it lifted it about 2 in. I should put HD springs in the fron to get it up a bit.
                          89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

Originally posted by JumboFriendly

Damn Jumbo, you're throwin them out left and right tonight
                            Nick
                            88 Colony Park LS
                            G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
                            Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

I don't know how this one slipped by me.

They fit
                              They sit in the lower control like they are supposed to if you position them right.

They arent exactly fragile either, I have bounced the hillbilly suv down a washed out road and hit some holes so hard that the rear dome light was knocked out of the roof, and I was sore for a few days as if I had been in a wreck, but the lift kit held up just fine. (for the record, if I had known what was beneath that series of puddles I would have never tried it. YIKES!)

I am running 29.5" tall tires on the front right now and they don't rub unless I turn the wheels all the way to one side. Then again, the plastic was chewed up pretty bad in the rear from my 31.5" tires I tried at first, so I cut them out. Your mileage may vary.

Regardless of what you do to the suspension, you will have to run 31" or smaller unless you want to cut the bottom front of your fender.
                              Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
                              AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
                              Open/Lock/Ratio #
                              -----------------------
                              G / H / 2.26
                              B / C / 2.47
                              8 / M / 2.73
                              7 / - / 3.07
                              Y / Z / 3.08
                              4 / D / 3.42
                              F / R / 3.45
                              5 / E / 3.27