Crappy gas mileage...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crappy gas mileage...

I'm currently getting 13.5mpg city, no matter how I drive. Last tank of gas was all nice driving this one is a lot of donuts and fishtailing and speeding. I drove 400+mi on the highway the other day and got 14.5mpg. That is NOT right. I used to get much better. I know my exhaust is one problem, I have a major leak between the header and H pipe, but what else could be causing this?

if you have a serious exhaust leak that close to the headers you're gonna loose a good bit of torque and that oculd cause you to use more throttle that you' should need to do things.. You might not niotice the dofference since you're used to its power

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
    '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
    '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

There is a difference, though I think it may have been leaking a little when I got the car. I'm sure that is most of my loss.

Comment

Didn't you used to get 21 highway? I don't know anything about a performance engine like yours but a 6.5 mpg loss without any awful performance symptoms seems most likely to be a gas line or tank leak. Donald McCaig

Comment

There are a few things that can cause excessive fuel usage. For example:

A dirty air filter.
          Incorrect ignition timing.
          Incorrect Idle speed.
          Low tire air pressure.
          Binding brakes.
          A fuel leak.
          Malfunctioning Transmission.
          Thermostat stuck open/not installed.
          Dirty or clogged fuel injectors.
          Malfunctioning Carburetor.

Check these things.
          Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
          Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

I've been getting 10.5 to 11.5ish in town as long as I Can remember... I've been driving this car for almost 4 years, the worst problems I've encountered since driving it are crap starters, bad air pump, water pump, misc brake part issues (mostly master cylinders and pbb's), and driver side windsheild wiper arm.

Maybe I should pull some codes, just for kicks? :dunno:

Comment

Performance engine? :haha: Lol, if you call 165-ish hp performance. Anyway, I never really figured out my mileage before, just started doing it now. I estimated it at 16mpg city before though, which seems low. I got 18-19/21-22 in my 89 Vic. I'll probably just be driving the Nissan Stanza beater when I can. :cuss:

Comment

replace your O2 sensor and check for vacuum leaks.

wait thats right you have headders... have you made sure you have o2 sensors anymore??
                That would suck if whoever did the pipes left em out.
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Yep, I got em. And they're new I believe.

Comment

usual stuff here..... first verify the 02 sensor harnesses have not burned against the exhaust. then check for vacuum leaks and pull the codes.
                    inspect the rubber hose coming off the back of the upper intake going to the MAP sensor, make sure its not cracked, broken or kinked.

and read the list G/L posted... espcially the one about the T/stat.
                    2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                    89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                    88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

I just looked at the o2 wires 2 weeks ago or so, they were fine then, Guess I should check again though. Ill check most of it out tomorrow. I know I have a new 160* T-stat which doesnt help gas mileage either...but I didnt put it in.

Comment

toss that 160 stat in the trash. with the cold climate you live in you should run only a 195. install a fresh, 195 T/stat and check for codes.

let me know what codes you find, if any.
                        2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                        89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                        88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

I agree. Whoever installed that shoulda known better. Having a 160* is about as bad as not having one at all.
                          Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                          Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

160 Thermostat? Whoever installed that was a fool.

Wow. Even in FL I run a 180...
                            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Yep, thats what I thought too, when I got the car. He said "I just installed a 160* t-stat, cause I didnt like how hot the car was getting..." I'm assuming it want THAT hot considering it NEVER has gone over 160 while I've owned it. At those temps the fuel probably isnt even being completely burned. Which means less gas mileage and probably less performance. :coocoo:

Comment

Working...
                              X