what should i grab from a cop car??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey guys i've got a retired '85 cop crown vickie in the bone yard out here andi know that the suspention is a lot better becaquse of it and was wondering what to grab off the car that might upgrade my stock '84. also were there any other upgrades that i should grab??i.e. brakes, exaust....
    sigpic"I love it when a plan comes together." Hanibal Smith (A-Team)

Sway bars. Especially the rear one...

The 140 speedo, and if it has a triple gauge pack grab that too.
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Hi Raser13

Originally posted by Rasor13
      The donuts

Regards

Dereck
      President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

and coffee
        YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

the rear control arms and the anti sway bar,and any thing else thats not stock ooooh the spot light
          YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Sway bars are a must. There should be some aux. fluid coolers under the hood that might be worht snaggin too. I could be worng but didnt p71s get heavy duty alt.s and or starters?

1991 Crown Victoria LTD, Puff the Magik Dragon

Comment

Cop boxes are P72s. I'm almost 120% positive that starters are identical, assuming it's a 5.0 P72. P72's and boxes that got the heated windshield got 100 amp externally regulated alternators. Some P72s also had 3.55s in back. Most though are either 3.08s or 3.27s.
              Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

nab the clock deleter plate too if it had one
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by Paul229
                  Cop boxes are P72s.
                  Not to be a dick but "Prior to 1999, the police car models of Crown Victorias were officially known as "P71 Crown Victorias" (which also includes the 1979-91 full-size LTDs and LTD Crown Victorias prior to 1992). The code P71 was retained when the vehicle was reclassified as the Police Interceptor, and appears in the Vehicle Identification Number and distinguishes it from the commercial (P70/P72), standard civilian (P73) and luxury civilian (P74) models." (from Wikipedia).

Comment

theres been some discrepency about that... but the VIN for every police box Ive seen was P72
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 91 LTD
                      (from Wikipedia).

Wikipedia is not always reliable since people like me and you type that in. So if you got it wrong or i got it wrong and I typed it there it does not make it right.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic
                        Wikipedia is not always reliable since people like me and you type that in. So if you got it wrong or i got it wrong and I typed it there it does not make it right.
                        True, I just posted from them cause thats the info I could find the fastest and it jibed w/ everything else Ive ever seen on the subject. Just want to make sure that people know Im not trying to start a pissing contest, not trying to prove that Im right and you're wrong (who cares?) or that I know more than anyone (cause I dont). Just sharing info. BTW got a P72 in my vin, so the debate continues.
                        Last edited by 91 LTD; 07-23-2006, 09:30 PM.

Comment

The coolers aren't very good and the oil cooler is difficult/expensive to get replacement parts for.

As stated above, the sway bars, speedo, delete panel are good to snag. The gauges aren't too bad to snag, the bucket seats if you want 'em...

The alternator isn't worth the time, a 3g is a better alternator (and an easier swap)
                          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
                            The coolers aren't very good and the oil cooler is difficult/expensive to get replacement parts for.

As stated above, the sway bars, speedo, delete panel are good to snag. The gauges aren't too bad to snag, the bucket seats if you want 'em...

The alternator isn't worth the time, a 3g is a better alternator (and an easier swap)
                            True, but getting the filter addapter for the oil cooler lines is a big plus!

Comment

If ya'll wanna get techincal about VIN codes...'87-'92 FLEET (Cop, Taxi, Fire) Crown Vics are P72, '93-current POLICE Crown Vics are P71 and FLEET (Taxi) are P72s. '87 is when the P7x codes started, before that they were P4x.
                              '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                              '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Working...
                              X