loss of power steering at idle...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

loss of power steering at idle...

My car has been driving great for a while now but I've had this annoyance of idling through a parking lot at and really struggling to steer. I wouldnt mind it as much if it didnt puke all over my motor when I try to steer it. Like I said, it only occurs at idle on the motor, if i raise the rpms like 200 more I dont really have the problem. I would imagine I would need a new pump, but I want to check the fluid first but also I remember it being fine.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
    My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

I'd definately check the fluid.

Could also be the pressure line leaking...since it's spraying I'd check that...
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
      I'd definately check the fluid.

Could also be the pressure line leaking...since it's spraying I'd check that...

It sprays out of the resivoir, you know when you try to steer with the car off and when you start it back up the fluid pukes everywhere? Thats what happens when the I am at idle.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
      My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Almost sounds like the box is bad then. I'm not sure.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

mine does the same thing, only no spray, at idle it wont work, 200 rpm more it works fine
          jay--1983 towncar, 302v8 cfi, dual straight pipes w/resonators ,edelbrock motor goodies, custom interior, full custom stereo system, full rebuilt trunk audio setup, custom paint...more to come......

Comment

Almost sounds like the line is clogged or the rotary valve in the steering box is gunked up causing it to puke out the top. Maybe try draining it out, dump some sort of transmission de-gooper (Transmedic, etc) and turn the wheel back and forth a bit to see if it un-gunks the system. After that, drain it out again and refill with fresh clean fluid. Maybe it'll work.

83tc: yours sounds like a dying pump. My friend's Mustang did that after the line blew off when his father in law was driving it. He drove it like 400 miles like that and it roasted the pump.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
            X