Vinyl and Bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vinyl and Bar

Anyone ever take the viynal.. and that like metal bar that goes around the top of the roof off an 89 crown vic. Need some help doing that.. is there paint under the vynal or what?
    1989 LTD Crown Victoria LX.
    -3.73s' w/ Track Loc - KYB GR-2 Shocks All Around - TRW HD Cargo Coils Rear - Moog Front Coils - 1 Inch Rear Sway Bar - 4.6 Lower Air Box- Stock Headers - Off Road H Pipe - Turbo Mufflers.

4 Door Muscle
    Supermotors

yes there is paint under there, but its so covered in glue you'll never get it looking like paint. There are bare weld seams and holes under there too... you will need body work after you take it off.

The strip on the roof is held on with nuts you must get at my removing the interior headliner.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

looks like im keepin it on,
      -3.73s' w/ Track Loc - KYB GR-2 Shocks All Around - TRW HD Cargo Coils Rear - Moog Front Coils - 1 Inch Rear Sway Bar - 4.6 Lower Air Box- Stock Headers - Off Road H Pipe - Turbo Mufflers.

4 Door Muscle
      Supermotors

Comment

It's worth it if you're getting the car painted at some point. I'm going to do it, but only right before I'm painting. But yeah, it is HARD work. I did it on one of my parts cars.

Comment

Just remove the fucking thing. Afraid of a little work to make ur car look sharper, like that police box look you are going for?

Lazy ass, mike...lazy ASS.
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

well he said body work.. i dont have money for body work.

4 Door Muscle
            Supermotors

Comment

actually you can do the prep work if you have the time... for $45 I just bought enough body work supplies to fill those holes for sure. I dont know what the seam looks like but I bet you could take care of that too.
              The hard part is getting all that goo off, unless you have power!!!!
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Yes it's doable. Took me 4 days from start to finish. Less than 50 bucks for glue remover, paint, filler and all that shit. See sig for pic.

Comment

I'm doing that to my LTD. I can't stand vinyl tops.

Comment

if you have the coach roof you're fucked out of more money,lol. cars that have teh coach roof actually have a fiberglass extension in back and they have a smaller rear window. you would need to take off the fiberglass and get a new bacck window :banana:
                    Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Coach roof? Ok guys school me on this. What's a coach roof? Is it the vinyl top with the padding in under it?

Comment

the coach roof(actually called the FORMAL COACH ROOF) was an option that came out in 1983. it is the roof that has the smaller window in the back, like a town car signature(or higher).

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Ok Thanks, I understand now.

Comment

Working...
                          X