Cold Air Intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold Air Intake

Yeah...Long time no post... I finally decided to get one...Just peiced it together from parts from autozone....It works pretty well...Took alot of massaging but I like my results....It seems like I have some pretty sizeable gain in torque becaue I can spin em alot easier now ...Ill have pics at a later date
    R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
    Originally posted by MeanVic84
    Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

5 hp max. 3 ft lbs absolute max

Comment

Looking forward to seeing the pics!

Ray
      Car: 2004 Mercury Marauder
      Engine/Tranny: 49k miles and bone stock....for now

Comment

Originally posted by 93 Marquis
        Looking forward to seeing the pics!

Ray
        me too

2005 Legacy GT *13.5 @ 96MPH*
        2003 Mercury Marauder *Totaled*

Comment

An improvement down low is always a huge improvement.
          I just always wonder:
          If the MAF is reading colder and therefore denser does that mean that the MAF fattens it up to the point where I'm losing fuel economy?
          My car is a Shelby SVT Cobra GT Boss Grand Marquis Type R

Comment

I had one on my car....(conical) under the hood. It was, OK at best, it did suck in too much hot air and made it run crappier when idling for a while, then taking off.

Comment

Most of the time the crappy idle is because of the air temp sensor being unseated or a leak in the CAI tube...Happend to a cobra that came into autozone throwing a code and idling like crap (fluxuating between 800 and 900 RPM)...Kid didnt know what it was... I got out of the car and pushed the air temp sensor in the tube idle evened right out...
              R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
              Originally posted by MeanVic84
              Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Comment

Hey its been a while since ive been on here but what is considered a cold air intake?
                1992 GrandMarquis LS
                The boat with the sound.

Comment

Don't do a cold air intake on these cars. Even the K&N FIPK would perform terribly when it was hot out, especially from a stop. It did provide a good SOTP response once you were moving though...

1999 Ford Crown Victoria LX 1/4 mile - 15.8 sec. @ 87 mph
                  -Marauder Intake and 80mm MAF, XCal 93 Octane Tune (BOC) with Motorcraft 22F Copper Plugs, Hi Flow Cats, Glasspacks with Short Exits Rear of the Tires, FRPP 70mm TB, Addco Sway Bars Front and Rear, PI Shocks

Comment

I was just wondering if anyone has ever used a thermometer to record the IAT charge. I just thought of this now...wouldn't it just take a roasting thermometer or something? To do a comparison? Like, this design of CAI will drop the temperature THIS much, etc. That way when people chime in there's at least be a record of the IAT charge before(stock) and after the install of the custom kit. I would think that the kit(whether aftermarket or homemade)that lowered the temp the most and if it still flowed the same would be better....
                    Am I wrong in thinking this?
                    -mercenvy
                    My car is a Shelby SVT Cobra GT Boss Grand Marquis Type R

Comment

My scan tool will show the data stream that the computer receives from the sensor. Before and after readings that way will let you know if the computer notices colder intake air or not.

Ray
                      Car: 2004 Mercury Marauder
                      Engine/Tranny: 49k miles and bone stock....for now

Comment

2000 Grand Marquis LS
                        2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
                        1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
                        1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
                        Mercury Owners Group member
                        Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

The autozone intake was "nice" and I was in texas at the time. the autozone home made intake was so loud I had the windows up on wot. The fipk is decent and looks nice. I didn't feel a loss considering the intake+magneflows+tune for me into the 14.43's in the 1/4.

2005 Legacy GT *13.5 @ 96MPH*
                          2003 Mercury Marauder *Totaled*

Comment

When I built my cold air intake on my old 88, I had two air temp sensors. One right behind the cold filter, one in the stock location for the winter. I just switched the connector in summer/winter and left the other sensor idle I also had a box around my filter so the hot engine air wouldn't get sucked in, jsut cold air from up front.
                            "Owning a 9-second Import is like coming out of the closet.... At first it may be surprising, but in the end, you're still gay!"

www.myspace.com/nascarmechanic

Comment

2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Bone Stock

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Comment

Working...
                              X