Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airhorns

Howdy y'all. I finally got them in.

Not quite as loud as I thought they would be...Sure as Hell ain't no 115 decibels... But they sound awesome. The video clip doesn't do them any justice at all.

Video Clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_pmMgLagik

Here they are underneath the hood. Thanks to the grille styling...You can only barely see them...And you have to really squint and look through to make out their shape.

Cool stuff indeed...But I wish they were louder.

sigpic
    - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Is that an air tank in the middle? Usually if they're just hooked up electrically they ain't as loud like they would be with a good air supply.
    '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
    '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Originally posted by BoxMan
      Is that an air tank in the middle? Usually if they're just hooked up electrically they ain't as loud like they would be with a good air supply.
      That's an echo chamber use to give the horns more of a locomotive sound. The horns use a direct drive compressor, eliminating the need for an on-board air system or large compressor and tank. The compressor is actually behind the horns in the picture. It's about the size of a soda can, and kicks on whenever I hit the steering wheel.

sigpic
      - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

That's why they aren't as loud. They want more air lol.
        '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
        '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Sounds good, but doesnt sound loud enough to mess with people?
          1999 CVPI
          Old Rides
          1988 Ford Mustang GT (trickflow stage 1)
          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (5.SLO)
          1989 Ford Thunderbird SC (3.8 Supacharged)

Comment

looks good! they really do...really
            YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Where did you get those from?
              Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
              Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by grandpaslincoln
                Where did you get those from?
                www.wolo-mfg.com

They are the Silver Streak Express DD. They are under "Truck Horns."

sigpic

Comment

I want an airhorn off of a firetruck. Those sound wicked.
                  Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

I'm not 100% sure, but those horns might have been for a diesel truck. Most diesels run 24 volt systems, so putting it in your car would only provide half the voltage they need. That might be why they aren't as loud as they should be. I noticed that it does not specify 12 or 24 volt systems.

Even with that said, the only way to tell if it is actually putting out 115 Db or not is to get a decible meter and check.
                    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

the air horn on the busses come right off the air supply, and a few have electrical connections like that with 24 volt, but the old busses that are metal horns with an air valve, thoes are the tits~!

Comment

Love the threads, mang...

Sounds good!
                        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

That's cool... but does need to be louder.
                          2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
                          1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
                          1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

mine are louder, lol, and triple horns, bright red too, and no, i didnt buy em, homemade deal, 2 direct drive compressors into a y fitting split into triple horns each side, total of 6 trumpets, its fuckin wack
                            jay--1983 towncar, 302v8 cfi, dual straight pipes w/resonators ,edelbrock motor goodies, custom interior, full custom stereo system, full rebuilt trunk audio setup, custom paint...more to come......

Comment

I think I got yall beat. I just picked up some HUGE air horns at a yard sale this week. The smaller of the two is 28" tall if stood on the bell. The bell (trumpet looking end) is 7.5" in diameter. The larger one is at least 36" long.
                              The guy I got them from said he took them off of an old travel bus but didn't think they came on it.
                              They are marked "general air products super-freighters"

I haven't hooked them up yet, but if they are anything like the ones I snagged a few years ago from a 1940's mack, they are going to be loud!

Now I just need to find some place to mount them. (on the hillbilly suv of course) If I move a lot of crap, I might be able to mount them under the hood, but it will be tight at best.

Maybe I should just slap them on the roof rack.
                              I'll post pics once I clean them up and paint them.
                              Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
                              AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
                              Open/Lock/Ratio #
                              -----------------------
                              G / H / 2.26
                              B / C / 2.47
                              8 / M / 2.73
                              7 / - / 3.07
                              Y / Z / 3.08
                              4 / D / 3.42
                              F / R / 3.45
                              5 / E / 3.27