Another AOD question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another AOD question.

I'm finally getting off my ass and fixing my car. I did a search for AOD transmissions in the area and the '92 AOD keeps coming up. Are there any differences between the '92 AOD and older AODs? (I found an '91 AOD out of a Grand Marquis, but I wanted to ask this question before I spend any money).

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
    5.4L swap coming soon.

They stopped usng the AOD in early 1992, but so far as I know an AOD is an AOD. Actually a true 1992 AOD is a fairly rare thing, since they stopped using them in like March of 1992. The 4.6 engine that bolted to it is also a bastard block motor thats near impossible to find. The later AOD is generally better since they made some improvements to the internals, but I think those were done in 86 and again in 89 or something.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'll play it safe and get the '91 or an earlier one.

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Yeah, get a 1986 and up AOD, better internals
        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
        Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

I don't think I'll be able to find any '86 AODs. Maybe if I find a parts car or something. When I did the search online, I found a few '92 AODs and one '91 AOD with 66,000 miles on it. I'm going with the '91 if it's still available.

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Take whatever has the least miles on it.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I found another '91 AOD. This one has 77K on it. The other '91 had 66K.

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Don't know a whole lot other than starter (2 bolt starter needs 2 bolt tranny, been told almost all were 2), and then tailhousing must be same length. Why don't you want to rebuild yours?

1991 Crown Victoria LTD, Puff the Magik Dragon

Comment

My car is a daily driver so I can't have it down for too long. The used AOD is just a temporary replacement. I'll have my original AOD rebuilt later down the line by a pro shop. I wouldn't trust a complete rebuild to my neighborhood mechanic. A built AOD from Level 10, Lentech, TCT or PA would be sweet and expensive, but worth it!!!

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Word.

1991 Crown Victoria LTD, Puff the Magik Dragon

Comment

Working...
                    X