Time for new tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for new tires

Was thinking what my car really needed now that Ill have some money to put into her, and decided to start from the ground up w/ some new tires.

Was thinking of BFGoodrich Radial T/As, or Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s, thoughts?

1991 Crown Victoria LTD, Puff the Magik Dragon

Firestone kan kiss my ass
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Yokohama Avid S/T's are good shit. Tom, Johnnie and I have all used them, probably others.

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
      '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
      '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

indy 500's are awesome, dont listen to turbo........i have a set on my dodge dakota.........firestone tires rawk!!
        bfg's are ok, but i never got much treadlife out of them
        scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Ill second the firestones. I like my mickey's though.
          1989 Grand Marquis LS
          flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Anyone use www.tirerack.com ?

Now a tossup b/w Yokohama and Firestone based on good reviews.
            Last edited by 91 LTD; 07-29-2006, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 91 LTD
              Anyone use www.tirerack.com ?

Now a tossup b/w Yokohama and Firestone based on good reviews.
              I like my Kumhos, Michelin quality at half the price.

The thing about orderign through tire rack. First of all they charge for shipping (for 4 tires it was going to be $47 in shipping for me). And second if you take tires somewhere to be installed, they might charge you more. My buddy is a manager at a tire store, he gets tires for about the same as tire rack, i get them as cheap as he can sell them. I dont pay for mounting balancing or valve stems. Saves about $20 a tire. I get all my tires through him except my 325s ( i got them through Summit) since he would have to have gone directly to BFG and apparently they are hard to order from.
              http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
              http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

I got Yoko's on the front BFGs on the rear.
                Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by DuceAnAHalf
                  I like my Kumhos, Michelin quality at half the price.
                  Which ones? Don't want to spend more than $200 or so before mounting. Decided to not use tirerack but instead buy direct from one of their reccomended installers nearby.

Comment

you wont find a set of good tires for $200... Id plan to pay 70-80 per tire
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Kuhmo and falken are both good performance tires at a resonable price...And you will have to pay 70-80 bucks if you want decent tires.
                      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I got the Yokohama's, but I would have gotten the Indy's if they were the same price.

On the other hand, if I didn't have a life long dream of owning these specific wheels, I would have gotten 16" or 17" wheels.
                        Last edited by Blaze86Vic; 07-29-2006, 11:13 PM.

Comment

tirerack.com spat out 215/70/15 when I put in 91 crownvic, and Ive been too lazy to go out and read the sidewalls. Any other size I can use w/ my wheels?

Blaze, that is the coolest sig. ever., and those wheels are superbad.

Comment

I ran 225/70/R15's on my steelies. Get yokohama avid S/T's from summit racing. I think they are 52 a tire. Great tires too. BFG radial T/A suck and are expensive. I heard good things about kuhmo's.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
                            My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

225/70 will give you a tad beefier tire and make your speedo a tad slow. 235/70 for extra beef.
                              if you want a lower profile, 235/60 works well and is a tad shorter than stock.
                              225/65 for a happy medium???

jonnie has 245/65/15 (I think) but that might be outside the 'reccomended' range for our stock 6.5" wide wheel
                              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                              sigpic
                              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
                              X