Almost forgot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost forgot

that it's also time to finally do the front wheel bearings. How hard a job is this? Guess I should do the front brake pads too.

1991 Crown Victoria LTD, Puff the Magik Dragon

Really easy, Pop the dust cover off with a pair of channel locks. Then take out the cotter pin followed by the lock. Then take off the nut, slide the rotor towards you a bit then push back and remove the washer and bearing. Then take the rotor off and remove the seal followed by the other bearing....Thats it. Make sure you pack the new bearings with grease.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
    My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Gonna pack the hell out of em w/ the best grease I can find. Dont I need to borrow some special tool from autozone or something?

Comment

Nope, they make a tool to pack wheel bearings but you can do it yourself in the palm of you hand...just gets dirty thats all. I always used a ford/lincoln/mercury approved grease when I did mine.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
        My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

That or maybe Mobil 1 synthetic all purpose grease. Gonna hit all the grease fittings while Im at it, had the pep boys do it and they missed a bunch but what do you expecct fo $10

Comment

Originally posted by 91 LTD
            Dont I need to borrow some special tool from autozone or something?
            To get the bearings in and out?

Comment

the bearings fall in and out. You will need to replace the dust seal on the back of the rotor to get to the back bearing. That can be replaced with a screwdriver and a hammer. No special tools needed.
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

You better check the bearing races too. They can be scored pitted. If there is a differance seen like real shiny were the rollers run compaired to the edges replace them too. Any friction here and your economy goes down.
                Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

yup yup, what he said about the bearings and the races. If they're shot, you'll need to drive the races out, but all you need for that is a punch and a hammer. To install, you need a socket to drive them in.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If you ding any of the bearing race seats or bur them fix that to or they wont seat properly. Check for positve projections in these areas. Some if done before already do. You can see or feel them. They can be peened down with a well dressed punch or a julers file in some casess.

Comment

In my experience the bearings usually come with the races...FWIW.
                      My car is a Shelby SVT Cobra GT Boss Grand Marquis Type R

Comment

Mercenvy, not necessarily - like if he's installing new rotors the races are already in there so he can purchase the bearings only and they'll fit right in. NAPA sells them both ways, just gotta be careful when ordering.

Comment

Originally posted by MeLikeyStripperChicks
                          Mercenvy, not necessarily - like if he's installing new rotors the races are already in there so he can purchase the bearings only and they'll fit right in. NAPA sells them both ways, just gotta be careful when ordering.
                          Good Point.
                          My car is a Shelby SVT Cobra GT Boss Grand Marquis Type R

Comment

Also check the fit of the bearing on the spindle and look for skuff marks on the spindle. the inner bearing race should fit snug and not rotate on the spindle easly.

Comment

Working...
                            X