Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replaced relay and fuel pump and still not turning on ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replaced relay and fuel pump and still not turning on ?

my fuel pumped stoped turning on so I replace the fuel pump and still not working , replaced the relay .. and still the pump dos'nt come on ... What the hell could it be its driveing me crazy and its my daily driver ..

any idea?

Thanks

Check the inertia cutout thing in the trunk. Should be on the trunk hinge on the driver's side. Make sure the button on top is pushed down. I'm guessing you probably also have a fuse for this in your underhood fusebox. Might want to check those to make sure nothing is bad.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

its a 94 marquise is it gonna have a inertia cutout ?

Comment

So are you saying that when you turn the key, you don't hear the fuel pump come on? I hear it every single time I start my car. There is a full test procedure in the Haynes manual and I don't have it in front of me, all I can do is just rely on the experience I have had with fuel problems.
        1st move:
        Get a test light, or multitester. If you jack up the back, jackstand it, remove the harness from the fuel pump sending unit(in the front of the fuel tank where the fuel lines come out of it, there should be two of them. One is supply and one is return. There should also be an oval-shaped electrical connection. Remove that and check for voltage there. If you have voltage there than the fuel pump may be faulty. And in a '94 it may very well be. Alot of times what happens is the electrical connector gets corroded. Mine did, I wish I had a picture of it(in fact I might even still have the freakin' thing)because it was totally trashed. If yours is in good shape then you're fine. I wish I had saved my old fuel pump, because the old one still worked but the sender was leaking really bad, and the new sender came with a new fuel pump, so...
        But I digress....
        If you have no power to the sender than you should go to the fuse box and see what's up there. Find the correct fuse(I'm trying to find which one but can't at the moment) and see if it's blown. If it is not blown and you still don't have power (and you're getting power OUT of the other side of the fuse) than it is something between the fuse and the sender.
        Chase it down and replace it you may need to get a factory pigtail to get it going.
        This is of course if your fuel pump isn't turning on when you hit the key.
        Turn the key like you are going to start it, but don't turn the key in the "start position". You should clearly hear the hum of the fuel pump. Roll down the window or get someone to pop off the gas cap and listen. Try it a couple of times. If you hear the sound that means the pump is working. Then you probably have a pressure problem rather than an electrical problem.
        If the fuel pump comes on and the car won't start, then that is a whole other can of worms.
        Let us know and get back with more info.
        -mercenvy
        My car is a Shelby SVT Cobra GT Boss Grand Marquis Type R

Comment

I had the same issue replaced the pump and tested the relay..(clicked and had the right voltage)....Come to find out that the 20Amp fuse in the underhood (on the 92') fuse panel was poped...The pump was creating enough resistance to pop the fuse under the hood.
          R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
          Originally posted by MeanVic84
          Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Comment

So, original poster, how are things going? Have you tested for votage a the sender?

Comment

ttt

Comment

TTT

Comment

Yes a 94 will have a fuel cut off in the trunk, Check for 12v at the pump connector, then go to the relay check for power to and from the relay while key is on, check that fuse! The other thing is make sure you still have a good ground to the pump. Use one of the schematics on here, or autozone.com to follow the circuit

Comment

So how's that voltage at the sender?

Comment

Working...
                    X