shock questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shock questions

Ok, I've got the 97. It needs shocks. I'm wondering what will be a good upgrade from stock.

I'm looking for a decent compromise between handling performance and comfortable ride. I'm leaning more towards the comfortable ride than I am the performance side. (the 84 can get the good handling poorer ride ones muhahaha)
    GMNRadio DJ, Podcast Co-Host
    1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria - Drag Car.
    99 Ranger 2.5 - Parts hauler and Pit truck.
    03 Mustang 3.8 Convertable - Head Gaskets fukered up
    95 S10 93 Accord

I dont think my Carreras are too stiff, as far as im concerned they could be stiffer.
    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

KYB GR-2's are great. Very controlled feeling but not stiff. Still has a soft ride.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
      My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Im goin with the KYB Gr2s next time... they're cheap too
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP*
          Im goin with the KYB Gr2s next time... they're cheap too
          I looked at advance auto parts for the Gr-2's and they want almost 40 for 1. Then I looked in summit and they have em for $22 or so. Summit=teh win!

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
          My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

The afco 1020's on mine are great. The KYB's are good and a good price.
            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

ooooooooooh.....bilstiens personaly I stay away from KYB but Im not sure why so if they give a cushy ride and if thats what you want go for it.
              YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Originally posted by Mercmarquis
                I looked at advance auto parts for the Gr-2's and they want almost 40 for 1. Then I looked in summit and they have em for $22 or so. Summit=teh win!

If this is for a 97 Panther, I recommend the Gas-A-Justs over the Gr-2s. I run them at all four corners and they are a good compromise. Also the PI spec shocks are bigger and beefier but still with a smooth ride. Just my two cents.
                My car is a Shelby SVT Cobra GT Boss Grand Marquis Type R

Comment

I just changed out the shocks on mine.I went with the KYB gas adjusts.The ride is a little firmer but still kinda cushy if that makes sense.I really like em.
                  If you go KYB make sure you get the C052 bushing kit for the front shocks,the bushings that they came with dont seat all the way and allow the shock to move in the upper shock tower,the C052 bushins ar made to compensate for the lack of bushing and seat them correctly.

02 MERCURY GRAND MARQUIS 4.6 ALL STOCK,KYB GAS ADJUSTS,GATOR BACK BELT.SOON TO COME J-MOD,DUAL EXHAUST

Comment

Originally posted by Mercmarquis
                    Not on everything. I window shop online a lot, and it's amazing how one part's cheaper at Summit, another at Autozone, another at Pep Boys, another at Adv./ Kragen, another at Jegs, another at RockAuto, etc. It makes no sense!!

1991 Crown Victoria LTD, Puff the Magik Dragon

Comment

I ordered the KYB GR2's for the front. Do they make them also for the rear? I only see some Bilstiens and Edelbrock's for the rear on Summit.

nevermind, I found KYB's website and found the part # for the rear

thanks for the help guys
                      Last edited by seneeb; 08-01-2006, 05:35 PM.
                      GMNRadio DJ, Podcast Co-Host
                      1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria - Drag Car.
                      99 Ranger 2.5 - Parts hauler and Pit truck.
                      03 Mustang 3.8 Convertable - Head Gaskets fukered up
                      95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

cool...

As for the cheaper places...shop around. I bought my Dynomax tails from advance. They were much cheaper there vs. summit.
                        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Let us know how they work out, they're def. on my wish list.

1991 Crown Victoria LTD, Puff the Magik Dragon

Comment

I think I'll be going with the Afco 1020 once money becomes available, with my massive springs most of what you guys run just won't keep up. The Afcos are about $60 each though, so they better work good, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by seneeb
                              I ordered the KYB GR2's for the front. Do they make them also for the rear? I only see some Bilstiens and Edelbrock's for the rear on Summit.

nevermind, I found KYB's website and found the part # for the rear

thanks for the help guys
                              Did you remember the bushing kit??It even says to on the KYB website.

02 MERCURY GRAND MARQUIS 4.6 ALL STOCK,KYB GAS ADJUSTS,GATOR BACK BELT.SOON TO COME J-MOD,DUAL EXHAUST

Comment

Working...
                              X