Body Filler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Body Filler

Since Im going to be doing some bodywork eventually, im def going to use some filler...

Ive heard to use some fiber-strand to fill in bigger areas, and any type of rage gold style filler over it...

what does the expert say?
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

What kind of big area are we talking? I've used chicken wire in completely rusted out quarter panel.

I have a big crease on my door, and instead of replacing it and finding a matching door, I'm filling it. Mainly for interior purposes.(I know to replace the door panel, but the paint around the door would be a site for sore eyes.)

I plan on seeing if I can pull it out some.(dought it.) Then just using bondo. I know it's a bad Idea to bondo on moving parts or next to moving parts. Vibration isn't good either, but untill I get a right colored door, or plan on painting the door. Which I don't think I'd ever do. We'll see if I can make it work/last.

Comment

err what door and what color do you need?

SuperFord Profile
      Support safe sigs

-sigs should not exceed 600 pixels wide
      -sigs should not consist of more that 25 lines (including pics) when viewed at 800x600
      -Multiple images exceeding 600 pixels wide should have a space between them to allow for wrapping
      -Total sig size should not exceed 60k
      Remember, only you can prevent sig abuse....

Comment

dont use bondo!!!!

Bondo's garbage. :guns: At least all the light-medium weight stuff is. I stick with USC products. You can find em at just about any autobody store. You're not supposed to put filler on more than 1/8" thick as a general rule. Depending on what filler you're using and where you're fillin, you can push the limits. I've used Long n Strong(tiger hair kinda shit) on areas where i've had to put a couple inches of filler and it seems to hold up. It bonds to metal really good too. I'd say if you're gonna fill it, bang out the dent the best you can, and pack some Long n Strong in it. No guarantees though. It's always best to reskin the door or replace the dented area with new sheet metal. :rock:
        1988 Ford Mustang coupe: 4cyl conversion, 5spd, 600cfm holley, roller rockers, headers, 2.5\" mac exhaust, alum. driveshaft, HD clutch, poor mans posi, blah blah blah.....

1993 Sable: Ultra Beater

Comment

The door is silver metalic. I've looked at the junkyard in the city. Wide variety of boxes, never in my color. Doors are usually worse than mine. I was going to pull a brown on a couple weeks ago.

I've applied bondo many of time. This will be no more than two centimeters applied. My rear quater consists of mostly bondo. All still there no cracks. I work all the bubbles and apply in thin layers. It's all about patients.

I don't have a welder and the dent is up by the side mirror all along the door, skips the rear door and that's where the rear quarter got fucked. Thus needing the sheet metal to be worked. I have no experience.

I'm not to worried about this car. Rather wait for the old man w/ tudor cv down the road to die. It's blue.

Comment

Basically this is to smooth out all the little dings in my doors, and mostly for the vinyl top delete....

Comment

Allright Tom, here's the sitzy...

If the dings are just little sonsabitches, hit em with some duraglass (filler with fiberglass particles) the shits heavy duty. then finish em off with some lightweight filler (feather-rite, rage...). For the top, I'd get it mostly filled with long-n-strong (tigerhair, whatever) then get it pretty straight with duraglass, then get a primer guide coat on it, then sand any spots that are still rough and finish up with some lightweight filler. it's a process, but it's the best way to keep the repair holding up in the long run.
              1988 Ford Mustang coupe: 4cyl conversion, 5spd, 600cfm holley, roller rockers, headers, 2.5\" mac exhaust, alum. driveshaft, HD clutch, poor mans posi, blah blah blah.....

Comment

Sweet! Thanks! :thumbsup:

Comment

Originally posted by grand_marquis_gt
                  Basically this is to smooth out all the little dings in my doors, and mostly for the vinyl top delete....
                  Vinyl Top Delete! nooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Vinyl is teh win! :headbang:

On the subject of body filler.... should I put such a thing on small rust spots? (dime sized or smaller, in terms of area). Or should I just sand and put some primer on them? (white car, whtie car). I doubt it'll get painted any time soon, but I would like to keep the rust from spreading like a disease.

Comment

I dont like the gigantic gawdy vinyl top on my car.

Its fading, has small tears, and 2drs look great without it...

Comment

Yeah, mine has cracks/tears in it, it looks like crap. But I plan to put a new one on, black, instead of white. Good contrast, as the artists would say.

Anyway,
                      Originally posted by NitroNic
                      On the subject of body filler.... should I put such a thing on small rust spots? (dime sized or smaller, in terms of area). Or should I just sand and put some primer on them? (white car, whtie car). I doubt it'll get painted any time soon, but I would like to keep the rust from spreading like a disease.

Comment

hey nitronic....

body filler really doesnt fix rust. The long n strong that i keep talking about says it stops rust, but i still dont trust it. The best thing to do for rust spots (no holes right?) is to grind out all the rust, or as much as you can at least, put a thin coat of some heavyweight filler on, sand smooth, then prime with a good primer(got a spraygun). Rust is like car cancer, you can make it go away for awhile, but it only spreads and comes back.

Comment

Working...
                        X