Stereo Head Unit Issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stereo Head Unit Issue.

This is really weird...And I have no idea what is going on with my stereo.

I have a Sony X-Plod CDX-GT100 head unit. It was working fine up until a few days ago. The unit just cut out on me...No display or anything...Complete loss of power to it so it seems. Every now and then, it will come back on, but will cut out after a few minutes.

However...If I run with my parking lights...Or full headlights on...It works fine.

I haven't been able to get a hold of my installer of this unit, so I thought I would ask y'all guys.

sigpic
    - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

It might be over heating my 96 F350 did it. Also might be getting too much voltage if its on the lighing curcut maybe turning the lights on reduces the voltage to it.
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

My Sony is a piece of shit, I'm putting my Pioneer in. Damn Sony will skip and not play and the display freezes...f that.
      '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
      '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Sony headunits suck. I'd go with either an Alpine or Pioneer.
        Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

My Sony has been rockin out since i got it nearly 2 years now without a problem

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
          '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
          '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Check the grounds for the radio, I had a headunit do the same thing you described in another car. It would work for maybe 10 minutes, then shut off and would not turn on again. Sometimes if I messed with enough I could get it to turn on, but only for a few minutes. Also, check all the wiring for the headunit since an exposed wire can cause the same thing if it goes to ground (touches metal or a grounding plate). If aftermarket speakers were installed with new wiring, look for crimped wires or exposed wires.

If that doesn't work, the headunit itself could have a bad ground internally or the internal amplifier is shot. Time for a new headunit then, you don't need spend alot either on a good one. Pioneer is a great brand and are usually reasonably priced. I have a Pioneer Deh P3700mp in my car, sounds excellentn and has alot of great features for the $125 I paid for it.

I have to take my radio out in a day or so to finish up my own audio project , so I'll take some pics to help.
            Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
            2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:
            Father's 1994 Ford Crown Victoria - Stock, 45,000 miles.
            Sold in 2007 - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Grandpa Special" 2 door.
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2128327

Comment

I knew I should have gotten the Pioneer when I wanted to replace the stock radio...

I had a local accessories shop install the head unit for me, because I didn't want to run the wire to the back of the car to bypass the factory amplifier. So now, with any new head unit, it's simply plug and play for me.

I guess the thing for me to do is check all the wires when I can...

sigpic
              - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

The premade harness I got for my car was wired wrong...could be the same with yours.
                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Working...
                X