Pinion Shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pinion Shaft

Anyone know offhand how many splines an early aero pinion shaft might have?
    I really don't feel like removing all that stuff if I don't have to...
    Maybe someone who has one off the car *cough* BMFer *cough* or who is around them daily could just count 'em up next time you run into one.
    Thanks.

-mercenvy
    My car is a Shelby SVT Cobra GT Boss Grand Marquis Type R

Most are 28 but the only way to be shure is to pull and count.
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b
      Most are 28 but the only way to be shure is to pull and count.
      Thanks for your response. I have one out but it's not for a Panther...it's actually a Mustang pinion. Since it is an 8.8 I figured it would be the same but didn't want to assume that.
      Thanks for your time.

Comment

Sorry I was thinking axle shaft not a pinion shaft. Not shure on the pinion just have had 9" stuff that far appart. I think most of the pinions are the same just axle splines differnt.

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b
          Sorry I was thinking axle shaft not a pinion shaft. Not shure on the pinion just have had 9" stuff that far appart. I think most of the pinions are the same just axle splines differnt.
          Yeah I'm just hoping that the pinion shaft I have will work with the companion flange I plan on using.
          Thanks for your response!

Comment

You must have gotten a PI aluminum drive shaft with the big expensive u-joints?

Comment

all the 8.8" pinion gears shafts/splines are the same to my knowledge. Since people regularly harvest 3.55/3.73 gears from explorers and such and swap them over, I would guess they work fine.
              2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
              89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
              88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Yup they're all the same AFAIK too. If you're talking axle splines, that's a little different. There are 28 spline (most panthers) and 31 spline variations.
                :worship: Aeros r00l.

Comment

Thanks guys for your responses. I ASSumed that they were the same but you know how that goes...
                  I have the 28 spline axles, and a 28-spline T/L diff with 3.73s...so I'm all set there. Just wanted to know if the pinion would work. And no, I don't have expensive anything....lol...just that I will need to have a custom driveshaft made and wanted to know.
                  Thanks for the info

-mercenvy

Comment

Working...
                  X