Manual Transmissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manual Transmissions

Is it possible to use a 5 speed or even a 4 speed from an old 4 banger fox body. I know they're not strong...but it doens't really need to be.

Will it bolt up to a 5.0?

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
    '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
    '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Freshmeat?

1991 Crown Victoria LTD, Puff the Magik Dragon

Comment

The 4cyl transmission will mount up if you use a 5.0 bellhousing, but I believe you need to change the input shaft. It should still be rated to hold 235 ft/lbs, but like NA showed us, these cars put 230 on the ground stock. Would be good enough to get everything in and situated, but I'd recommend you start looking at replacements if you do go this route.
        2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
        1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
        1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Hmm, alright.

Comment

Originally posted by Freshmeat
            The 4cyl transmission will mount up if you use a 5.0 bellhousing, but I believe you need to change the input shaft. It should still be rated to hold 235 ft/lbs, but like NA showed us, these cars put 230 on the ground stock. Would be good enough to get everything in and situated, but I'd recommend you start looking at replacements if you do go this route.
            That tranny is rated at 235 ft/lbs in a 3000# car. In heavier cars they hold less power.

Richmond 6-speed FTW
            http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
            http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

I would just use the 4 banger trans to just mock up the trans and get everything to fit right, Even the 5.0 T5 needs a little help in order to be a good reliable trans in these heavy cars I would get a heavy duty clutch and stronger output shaft and new gear's for the rear<I saw one in a Crown Vic witha T5 swap and a 351 engine implode when the guy got on It. Have you heard of muscle mustangs and fast fords magazine www.musclemustangfastfords.com look them up they are pretty good lots of five-O info
              YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Originally posted by Freshmeat
                You can change the input shaft, or get a specific pilot bearing.
                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Stock clutch works great, according to a lot of my Mustang buddies. I'm running the FRPP King Cobra. If you go that route, hit eBay and get the Valeo brand, save yourself $20-50. I ordered the FRPP to make sure it was high quality. When I opened the FRPP box, the FRPP KC clutch was wrapped in Valeo paper.

Don't pay for a $50 box. Just get the Valeo.

Mine's the low-torque rated model, as well. I run the fawk out of mine and it's held up quite well. I'm on borrowed time, but it's doing better than I expected. If you have the 4cyl T5 available for cheap enough (wouldn't pay more than $300 for one), roll with it and let us know how it goes.

Need a pedal assembly built? I can do that for you, for a fee.
                  2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
                  1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
                  1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Well, it's not going to be a 4,000lb car...it will maybe be 1,200lbs. (Frame, drivetrain, 1 seat) And its going to be a completely stock motor from an 89 vic...except with a stock 84ish mustang carb and intake on it. It won't have much power, and not a lot of weight.

Think the 4 banger trans will hold up to that? The junkyard by me sells the transmissions for about $100-150 I think. Chances of me finding a good V8 5 speed there...1 in a million.

Comment

also, I dont need all that performance stuff...I'll want to stick with stock parts to spend as little money as possible.

Comment

Working...
                      X