blackened battery clamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

blackened battery clamp

While installing the 3G alt a while back in S.U., I installed a new positive battery clamp. This clamp has since turned a nice shade of black. Is this a sign of something bad? Should I be concerned of a possible fire issue?

Now Im no expert but it Id only really start to worry if I saw any sort of heat related damage to the new clamp and/or its wire. Hope this is something minor.

1991 Crown Victoria LTD, Puff the Magik Dragon

Comment

Is the connection tight and clean? Where is it black exactly, right around the wire, or where it contacts the battery terminal? Its possible the cable is bad, even new. New one that was installed on the rustbucket f250 was no good right out of the box, truck wouldn't start.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Everything runs fine. The clamp itself has turned dark. It is one of those cheap universal clamps. The old clamp was corroded and I needed a new clamp anyway since I had to connect the wire from the alt to the battery.

Comment

If it's a cheapy it may have other metals and shit in the clamp, so those metals could be discoloring or something.
          Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
          Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

touch it after a drive and see if its hot. it should not be. thats a sign of high resistance (bad connection)
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
            X