Gauges: Auto Meter vs. Stewart Warner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gauges: Auto Meter vs. Stewart Warner

Does either offer an advantage? I like the looks of both, but the prices on the Stewart Warners I was looking at are a little more reasonable. I also like their Tachs a lot. I've always heard about the greatness of Auto Meter.

Stewart Warner does not have the range of styles that Autometer does. Stewart Warner is more often used in restorations as their gauges look more old school. Autometer is way more new style. So the difference is really in the looks. Alot of gauge companies are pretty good, but whoever catches the eye of the croud is the expensive one. And it works because Autometer Cobalts are the ones I just had to have.

As you scroll across you can see the huge number of different Autometer styles.

There are only a few styles of Stewart Warner, and they look pretty much the same to me.

Comment

I always liked VDO guages myself but they dont have a lot of bling factor to them. Very utilarian looking for the most part, which is probably why I like them.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

What those two said. I always thought the stewart warners were more expensive but I guess its the model you pick.
        Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

I happen to like SW...
          My car is a Shelby SVT Cobra GT Boss Grand Marquis Type R

Comment

I like sun cause their not outragious like sw or am...31 bucks for a tach now thats more like it.... im not paying 150 bucks for a tach lamo.....And I get 20% off of them cause I work at Autozone (teh win)
            R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
            Originally posted by MeanVic84
            Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Comment

Dear Ratchets,

My concole is occupied with, er, a console and the under radio space is full of preamp.
              Autometer has an A pillar two guage mounting for a Thunderbird which I heated to fit my '89 CP. Just oil & water electric guages but better than lights.
              Donald McCaig

Comment

Heres an comparison article on gauges. Too bad you can't read the whole thing, unless you subscribe...http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...uges/index.php

Comment

Originally posted by jasonh
                  Heres an comparison article on gauges. Too bad you can't read the whole thing, unless you subscribe...http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...uges/index.php
                  I am a subscriber, for things like this...

Lemmie check it out and ill paste if it's good...
                  1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                  Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT
                    I am a subscriber, for things like this...
                    Good to know :heyhey:

Comment

By the wya, buy the autometers...

The Stewart-Warners aint bad, but the autometers are just as good.

Comment

Next question... mechanical or electrical?

Mechanical seems like a pain in the ass. Electrical seems like they're a little more expensive. Is that the only difference?

Comment

Mechanical are by far the most accurate.

I have heard this from several sources, including those at fordmuscle, who did that article there...

Comment

I would use electrical for a street car. Maybe its just me but I wouldn't want an oil line running into the car.

Comment

With a copper line, it aint bad...

Comment

Working...
                              X