Keeping cool under high pressure!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping cool under high pressure!

Ok... This is a R134a A/C question, Mind you I have been working on this car for 5 hours straight. The vehicle is a 1998 Olds Intrigue. The A/C compressor has been replaced and the clutch enguages and cycles properly, the compressor is a week old... I replaced the ofrice tube in the high line and checked the one that is in the evaporator in the firewall....the one in the firewall was clean the one in the high line before the condenser was wasted, metal all over it.... I also removed the high line from the evaporator to the condenser and purged with air to check for blockage. none found.... the condenser was purged with air and seems to be open no blockages eather.... now comes the crazy part when charging the A/C system from the low side service port. I get a max reading on pressure gauge, yes I hooked it to the right side and guage... after filling with the right amount of refrigerant with the compressor on I'm still getting a low pressure reading off the scale(TOO HIGH)... mind u the compressor is brand new, both ofrice tubes are clean and free flowing and the entire high pressure side of the a/c has no blockage(HIGH PRESSURE GUAGE READING IS OK)... is it possible that the compressor is turning the wrong way? oh yeah and the accumulator seems to be flowing right, I took the line off the accumulator going to the compressor and purged threw the low service port and I got air so thats flowing? I think its eather the compressor is going the wrong way or there is a block at or before the evaporator ......... IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS, OR HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRICATED
    1987 MGM 126K 2" True Duel flowmaster 40's 3" tipped exhuast, Tinted 20% all way round, individual bank A/F guages, tach.

Debreigh in the system. It is crucial that you do an superb flush of the entire system. I flushed mine twice and still got debrigh collected on the orrifice.

There is still debright in the system that simply blowing air through will not get. I flooded the condensor and the evaporator with carb cleaner and then blew that out with compressed air. I did that several times, untill it came out clean, and still had more debreigh.

Take the system apart again and flush evey part of the system, and you have to replace the collector, becuse it is next to impossible to flush well.

Comment

u mean the accumulator? (collector?) Im thinking of just replacing the accumulator and the evaporator, the only bitch about it is the the evaporator is in the dash and i really aint lookin forward to taking that all apart.... CARB clean is ok for a/c lines? did not know that? Tomorrow is another day..... imma take the low side off from da compressor to the accumulator to the evaporator and check for blocks.... if thats not it... i give up.... after I purged the high side with compressed air and recharged and still (high) low pressure. I took it all apart and there wasnt anything collected on the ofrice.... who knows...
      1987 MGM 126K 2" True Duel flowmaster 40's 3" tipped exhuast, Tinted 20% all way round, individual bank A/F guages, tach.

Comment

You do not have to replace the evaporator. Just do a good flush on it. A real through flush. Yeah, carb cleaner is ok, those lines are not weak, plus carb cleaner does not stay long, because it evaporates so fast. Yes, replace the accumulator. Be sure to flush the condensor as well just as throughly as you do the lines and the evaporator.

Comment

well, we will find out later this week, the shop closed today before i got finished, the the customer is gonna have to bring it back later this week. I kinda figured that there was a block in the low side. cuz i guaged it before broke the system open and both sides were off the chart pressure. so i started with the high side thinking the ofrice tube was clogged which it was. now apparently theres a block on the low side too.... trial and errror

Comment

Also, now im not sure about this, but before I opened the system, both the compressor clutch and condenser fans would come on when the a/c button was pressed, now only the a/c clutch enguages? possible that with the low side being blocked the high side isnt getting enough pressure to enguage the high pressure switch to turn the fans on? I read somewhere that the GM condenser fans are controled by a pressure switch on the high side with a on/off somewhere between 175psi ans 225psi

Comment

Working...
            X