2001 Grand Marquis won't stay running on start-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2001 Grand Marquis won't stay running on start-up

It seems that, especially on humid mornings or after a big rain storm, Kim's '01 GM just won't stay running after initial start-up. After about 10 minutes, it runs and then it's fine for the rest of the day. Is there moisture getting in someplace that I can't find? Is the C O P system flawed? Is there moisture getting under the plug boots? Once the car stays started it runs flawlessly. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks!
    Jack (Hizhonor)
    The Lincoln Mark VII Club
    www.thelincolnmarkviiclub.org

sigpic

Does the car stumble and die, or does it just start and shut off? Have you had the car scanned for codes? Sometimes the computer will pick up in intermentent problem that doesn't like the CEL.

Ray
    Car: 2004 Mercury Marauder
    Engine/Tranny: 49k miles and bone stock....for now

Comment

That'll be the next step to pull codes, I guess. The car will run at initial startup but then die when she puts it in gear. There is no CEL at all that comes on. <shrug>

Originally posted by 93 Marquis
      Does the car stumble and die, or does it just start and shut off? Have you had the car scanned for codes? Sometimes the computer will pick up in intermentent problem that doesn't like the CEL.

Ray
      Jack (Hizhonor)

sigpic

Comment

Could be moisture in the plug holes, causing misfires.....Does it run ok, if you keep you foot on the pedal? if so the IAC may be sticking.

Comment

It could maybe be Oxygen Sensors as well. When i had my new O2's put in everytime after a car wash the car would idle funny for a few minutes until I guess they dried out. But now it doesn't happen anymore, maybe the entrance for the moisture sealed itself...

1999 Ford Crown Victoria LX 1/4 mile - 15.8 sec. @ 87 mph
          -Marauder Intake and 80mm MAF, XCal 93 Octane Tune (BOC) with Motorcraft 22F Copper Plugs, Hi Flow Cats, Glasspacks with Short Exits Rear of the Tires, FRPP 70mm TB, Addco Sway Bars Front and Rear, PI Shocks

Comment

I'm with Johnny, check your IAC.
            2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

Hi, Johnny ... the car runs superb once she get's it going. Really, I don't use the word flawlessly unless I mean it. The car runs flawlessly the restt of the day once she get's it going. I'll check the plugs and plug holes. I've never changed plugs on a C O P 4.6L (my '92 TC still has the regular coilpacks and plug wires) so I'll just take my time. Thanks for the reply!

Originally posted by Johnnyiroc
              Could be moisture in the plug holes, causing misfires.....Does it run ok, if you keep you foot on the pedal? if so the IAC may be sticking.
              Jack (Hizhonor)

sigpic

Comment

IAC valve.
                :worship: Aeros r00l.

Comment

The bad think about this is.....there are a bunch of things that can cause this
                  moisture in a coil, plug boot with moisture in there, IAC, o2 sensors not working until hot, water getting into engine components, almost a must see, but we will try over the net.

Comment

Well, it's got the COP setup so I'm just going to check the plugs to make sure they aren't loose and that all connections are tight. Since my accident last week (Mark VII was totalled) I haven't had time to even think about her car.

I was too busy with other things prior to the accident to look at it too. I do appreciate your suggestions and patience. I'll update as soon as I'm able.

Originally posted by Johnnyiroc
                    The bad think about this is.....there are a bunch of things that can cause this
                    moisture in a coil, plug boot with moisture in there, IAC, o2 sensors not working until hot, water getting into engine components, almost a must see, but we will try over the net.
                    Jack (Hizhonor)

sigpic

Comment

Hi Jack

An off the wall suggestion, has Kim's car got PATS (Passive Anti-theft System) fitted? If so could be a bad key or sensor ring, we have had some wierd sh*t at the shop on various cars when the PATS goes wrong.

If you have a spare key give it a try when the car is acting up, at least it would be one thing to remove from the list.

Regards

Dereck
                      President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

If you pull those COP dealies off, make sure you put some new di-electric grease in them before popping them back on. It will keep the moisture sealed out of them. Not sure if its the problem but just a mention.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

excellent idea

Comment

Hi Dereck ... we tried all the keys and the same thing happened. Once I feel better I'll change out the plugs and re-grease the boots like Gadget suggested.

Originally posted by Dereck
                            Hi Jack

An off the wall suggestion, has Kim's car got PATS (Passive Anti-theft System) fitted? If so could be a bad key or sensor ring, we have had some wierd sh*t at the shop on various cars when the PATS goes wrong.

If you have a spare key give it a try when the car is acting up, at least it would be one thing to remove from the list.

Regards

Dereck
                            Jack (Hizhonor)

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X