Cheap security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap security

Looking into getting a cheap alarm system for the merc, my anti-theft precautions haven't helped. Any recommendations first and I don't have experience with installing alarm systems.

Also, is it a pain to install a keyless entry alarm system, it would be a cool feature if my car had it?
    Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
    2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:
    Father's 1994 Ford Crown Victoria - Stock, 45,000 miles.
    Sold in 2007 - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Grandpa Special" 2 door.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2128327

the keyless entry systems are cool, but are VERY involved to install... generally the simpler they are, the easier they are to install.
    I would try to find a simple alarm that only goes off if the doors are opened or the car is started. Maybe a remote door unlock too.
    All the snazzy things like remote start and remote window operation, shock sensors, and ones that disable the car when they go off are the options that cost a lot and are a pita to install.
    Ive never done any myself, I just base this info on 2nd hand experience.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I have a auto starter and lock set up.
      Anyone know how to install them? I would a least like the keyless entry hooked up
      2000 Grand Marquis LS
      2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
      1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
      Mercury Owners Group member
      Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

A hidden kill switch or two works great. Of course a bow and arrow does too. Just ask the one would be theif that tried for my Shelby Mustang. Last seen running down the street at 3 AM screaming something about indians trying to kill him. Just a warnig shot put it an inch from his foot.
        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b
          A hidden kill switch or two works great. .

I was just fixen to say the same thing ) You can have as many kill swicthes as you want as well. Just rember where they are. )
          People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

I'd be far less concerned about someone trying to drive the car away than I would be concerned with damage to the vehicle and/or theft of stuff from inside it. Stereos are easy to hide and move, entire vehicles somewhat less so. All the kill switches in the world aren't going to do much for you when you have a busted window and a hole in the dash. Something with a simple shock / vibration sensor that makes a crapload of noise is probably all you need.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
            X