Front end wandering at high speeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front end wandering at high speeds

Ok I was thinking maybe my tierods are shot. I thought from memory that a inner tierod might have been replaced at one point but I got under there today and it was the ballstud where the pitman arm attaches to the center link that was replaced cause it had a grease fitting. All the tierods look original. I couldn't see any play in those things but it doesn't wander in town. Would it be those things that are causing the wandering on speeds over 70mph? Balljoints are good, my uppers are pretty new and the lowers make no noise and look good. I have alittle play in where the steering shaft connects to the gearbox. If I could figure this out before SF that would be great as it would make the drive even more enjoyable.

Thanks
    2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Ok I am a retard. I must have smoked too much reef last year as I didn't remember the last time I took it on the interstate 2 months ago. Well I tested it today and the front end doesn't wander at all, it is actually really tight. It is my steering play that is the problem. When I go to correct it alittle I almost over correct sometimes because of the about a half inch of play in the steering wheel. Now that I am conscious of the play it goes straight as an arrow.
    Now comes the question how to fix the steering play? I felt it when I was under there and my dad was turning the wheel that it was loose where the lower steering shaft connects to the steering gear. Do those joints wear out over time or what is the deal?

Comment

If your joints are in good working order (when were they last replaced and how often do you lube them?) it may be the gear box, which can be adjusted to some point. Don't even think of doing it on your own if you've never done it or you don't have a suitable torque wrench.

Comment

Does your car have the speed sensitive power steering? If so maybe it is unhooked.
        http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
        http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

I always keep all my joints that have the zerk fitting lubed all the time. How do I find out if I have speed sensitive steering?

Comment

The rag joints and the u-joints on the steering shaft do wear out, and so do the steering boxes.
            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Yeah, they wear, and so do the bushings in the column itself. My car has a bit of the same thing, slight slop in the U joints plus wear in the column itself gives it a bit of a float on the highway.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

how easily replaced are these steering shaft joints???
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

The rag isn't too bad, there are repair kits...as for the u joint, I haven't seen any service parts...

Comment

Ya I was just going to say I have been looking for the replacement joints for the shaft and I have yet to find a car parts site that carries them.

Comment

Originally posted by zwack88
                      Ya I was just going to say I have been looking for the replacement joints for the shaft and I have yet to find a car parts site that carries them.
                      Zwack-
                      Your buddies in Lincoln, NE Speedway Motors sell the joints and the shafts. I believe they have threaded and weld-on styles. Might want to try them out..
                      My car is a Shelby SVT Cobra GT Boss Grand Marquis Type R

Comment

Thanks I will have to check them out.

Comment

Let us know what you find out, and see if they have universals for boxes.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'll bet they don't, just universal weld or bolt in types. Which would be much better.

Comment

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/xq/asp...qx/Product.htm
                              http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                              http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Working...
                              X